Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Back to Thumb Throttle...More Speed

The previous owner of my ski junked the Polaris thumb throttle lever for a finger one, and I just put the thumb one back on.

And the speedo used to top out at 52 and now we've seen 58. My kids and I all notice the higher speed, but I need to get a GPS to verify it.

Question....it looks like the idle speed was set at the adjustment at the throttle lever. I was trying to get a little bit of play but couldn't. I tried to set the idle at about 1000 rpm.

I'll bet that finger throttle wasn't fully opening the throttle plates. I had to adjust the cable connection at both the carbs and at the finger throttle almost to the limit so it would fully pull the plates open. Luckily I had barely enough adjustment on my cable ends, I think some have had to make other modifications.

For grins I'd put that finger throttle back on. Pull full throttle on the lever and also reach down at the carb connection. Obviously if you can turn it any more at the carbs then you aren't pulling full throttle. Make necessary adjustments. This is all, of course, if you prefer the finger throttle. I trashed the old thumb style as soon as I could. Too awkward.

+1
    I don't mind the thumb throttle at all. Like you, I ran the adjustment all the way in just to get the idle speed low enough. I thought I had it ok, then started it out of the water and the rpms went sky high and I had to shut it down real quick. The throttle was barely open, but of course there was no load on the engine.

That's cool if you prefer the thumb throttle. But are you talking about the idle screw adjustment or the threaded ends on the actual throttle cable? Your idle adjustment screw is a whole other animal. Those threaded portions on both ends of the throttle cable are what allow you to take out any slack. If you pull full throttle and those butterflies still got room to go, take out the slack in your cable.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Set the idle tied tight on the trailer in the water,Or better yet take it out,see how it is and come back to dock and adjust.Out of the water and it will over rev like crazy(no load on pump).

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I saw, and then copied a throttle cable that had a knot tied in it to take up the extra slack. You have to be precise on placement of the knot though. Too high up and it will interfere with the cable drum on the carb. Too low down and it will not allow you to open the throttle plates fully. This was all for a cheap version of the finger throttle. I can't stand the thumb control. FYI: for those that don't know, you can spin your thumb throttle 180* and have a make-shift finger throttle. You'll just need to cut out a small part of the handlebar pad to clear the cable.

+1
    Your idle stop screw is on the front carb,at the front,towards the hull,large plastic head on Keihin. Do not adjust idle speed using the cable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mystahagy View Post
    That's cool if you prefer the thumb throttle. But are you talking about the idle screw adjustment or the threaded ends on the actual throttle cable? Your idle adjustment screw is a whole other animal. Those threaded portions on both ends of the throttle cable are what allow you to take out any slack. If you pull full throttle and those butterflies still got room to go, take out the slack in your cable.
    That's it....I can't get any slack in my cable before running out of room of the adjustment at the throttle lever. The cable is run in almost all the way...I've got maybe 1/8th of a turn left to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Your idle stop screw is on the front carb,at the front,towards the hull,large plastic head on Keihin. Do not adjust idle speed using the cable.
    So just one screw to adjust for all 3 carbs? Thanks

+1
    It's not a "thumb vs finger" thing. I've seen this myself with throttles that have the pivot and pull-point out of whack from where it should be.

Which finger throttle were you trying to use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information