Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carbs Rebuilt?

Carbs Rebuilt?

Has anyone ever heard of or used R Rated Performance in Bayville, NJ? I had some work done around this time last year when the ski wasn't running right. Carbs were supposed to be rebuilt. This year after riding a few times a buddy who is knowledgeable working with skis took a look and noticed not only compression was low but there was very little piston wash. We took apart the carbs. The small filter in one of the pictures was also installed on the fuel line, which we removed after my friend deemed it as possibly part of the problem. The pictures detail what we found before cleaning them. The invoice from the repair shop is also included. Did I get what I paid for?

http://www.greenhulk.net/gallery/sho...00&ppuser=6597

Needles aren't in a rebuild kit and may have been good at the time? the Diaphragms are supposed to be new along with 3 internal filters so they used individual parts instead of a kit I don't see any obvious ripoff at first glance? I have seen motors that had reeds installed and the shop ( not this one ) didn't do one whole set 2 out 0f 3 cages Z

+1
    I have purchased items from R-rated and not had any problems if that helps. I know they are really into the Ultra 250 products and performance.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome!

Those needles look like nipples, there is no charge for carb kits and the carbs are all crusty. If they did not supply the carb kits, they did not rebuild the carbs. If the needles were like that when they got to it, and they didn't replace them, they are incompetent. If the carbs were clean when they winterized the ski, that rust should not have developed. They fucked you dude. They fucked you good. Hopefully that friend of yours knows what he's doing.

Luckily, you found the best place on the web to get your ski straightened out.

The work was a year old! I don't think they f'ed him! a year later it ran crappy and the needles were ugly! but I wouldn't nail the shop for that one? all due respect ! Z

Sorry I missed the writing on the receipt that states they rebuilt the carbs and winterized it I have to agree with Addicted now! Z

+1
    I see on the receipt where they stated they rebuilt them, yet they did not have any parts listed other than the filters for the carbs. So it sounds to me like all they did was clean them and replace internal filters. Not a true rebuild, the Kits run around $50 a piece so the bill would have been more. What did you do about the low compression they noted? to me this is a more serious problem. For the parts noted and the work performed I do not see the bill being that far out of line.

+1
    They also replaced 3 diaphrams. I would assume the pump diaphrams, but that still isnt a carb rebuild. I cant believe that a shop would take the carbs off and only replace the diaphrams and filters since they are a pain to get off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    They also replaced 3 diaphrams. I would assume the pump diaphrams, but that still isnt a carb rebuild. I cant believe that a shop would take the carbs off and only replace the diaphrams and filters since they are a pain to get off.

I bought a set of Black Jacks on ebay a few years back for my 65U. I sent them to [email protected] he went through them and replaced a couple items that were bad rejetted for my motor and sent back to me. So it is not unheard of to replace just a couple items. I agree though when I pull them out I do the kit it is not hard or that expensive and you know everything is fresh and going to last a couple seasons.

Thanks everyone for the replies, happy to be a member of the forum! Zmann and addicted, my buddy said the same thing about the accumulation of rust and dirt. After they did the work they winterized the ski. It was garage-kept from that point until May. I only rode it 3 times before my friend took a look and ultimately took it apart. Osidebill, my friend said I need to replace one of the cylinders, a project for the approaching winter season. Thank you everyone again; after my friend worked on the ski I wanted to see what others' opinions would be on the cost of parts & labor I paid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information