Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Issue with 06 RXP

I was out riding in the ocean yesterday and was cruising around at about 40 when the ski lost all power. The engine did not shut off but I was unable to go any faster than Idle. If i gave it gas it would make it seem like I sucked something into the pump area and it made the back end vibrate real bad. I jumped off and felt around the pump area and did not find anything. I idled all the way in(about a mile offshore, which took forever) and when I got it back on the trailer and was flushing the ski out it revved fine...I got home and looked under the ski looking through the grate in the pump area and there was nothing. I could see the back of the prop and the wear ring hoping to find something and could not see anything. No messages on the dash, just would not rev higher than idle without massive vibrations...

Any ideas....

+1
    Pull you pump, I had the samething happen to me and a small piece of wood was stuck in the prop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 2007-08-19.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	670.5 KB 
ID:	37413  

+1
    Jim,

Let me know if you need help pulling the pump. to check it out. Man sorry to hear this happend. Hope its just something stupid. Also let me know when u want to go back and test it out. Ill go with you incase you need to be towed in. I usally test my skis in the c14.

+1
    I would not pull the pump just yet, maybe pull the grate to get a better look. You may have got a fish or string in there and chewed it up un the way in. You can get a good look through the grate without pulling it by using a small mirror and flashlight. I would try it again before pulling the pump. JMO

+1
    Thanks for the info guys.

I was thinking of pulling the pump to check the wear ring anyways as I am at 83 hours, thinking it might need some attention...I was thinking something might be jammed in there that I could not see...Would be nice if it was this simple...

Thanks again...

Adam I will get in touch with you so we can go ride soon. Kinda sucks the ocean is flat as a lake....we need some tropical storms to cruise by and push us some swells....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I would not pull the pump just yet, maybe pull the grate to get a better look. You may have got a fish or string in there and chewed it up un the way in. You can get a good look through the grate without pulling it by using a small mirror and flashlight. I would try it again before pulling the pump. JMO

Pulling the pump a way easier than the grate, and you don't have to worry about pulling out the thread inserts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    Pulling the pump a way easier than the grate, and you don't have to worry about pulling out the thread inserts.

Im with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ESDJCO View Post
    I was out riding in the ocean yesterday and was cruising around at about 40 when the ski lost all power. The engine did not shut off but I was unable to go any faster than Idle. If i gave it gas it would make it seem like I sucked something into the pump area and it made the back end vibrate real bad. I jumped off and felt around the pump area and did not find anything. I idled all the way in(about a mile offshore, which took forever) and when I got it back on the trailer and was flushing the ski out it revved fine...I got home and looked under the ski looking through the grate in the pump area and there was nothing. I could see the back of the prop and the wear ring hoping to find something and could not see anything. No messages on the dash, just would not rev higher than idle without massive vibrations...

Any ideas....
    Same thing happened to me when my ski was new. I was out on the lake and traveled abt 20 miles & when I turned around to head back I had the same symptoms. Took abt 3 hrs to get back to the dock and once I got it loaded & checked it out I saw nothing. Took it out the following weekend and it ran fine.

Only thing I can think is when I put it in reverse at the dock it cleared whatever was sucked up; other than that 15 hrs later I've had no issues.

+1
    ok so I pulled the pump today. Took a long time to get to it I know but wife and I are expecting a little boy this week so the ski has been sitting. Nothing in the pump. I was so hoping to find a stick in there or something. Wear ring was not bad, but I flipped it anyways. The freezer trick is great. I first tried to pull it out with pliers, was not happening. I put the pump in the freezer for half an hour and could get the ring out with two fingers...

So any other suggestions. I did take it out this morning and was going along ok in the no wake for like 10 minutes with no problem. I gave it some short blasts with no problem. All of a sudden when idling it just instantly started vibrating in the pump area. No loud noises or anything. Jet wash is coming out ok when idling. But when I give it gas the back of the ski just vibrates and does not do much. I did not even have enough power to put it on the trailer. So it was running for 10 minutes idling and then back to the vibrating issue, nothing in the pump.. I was thinking maybe there wouild be shredding where the shaft meets the prop but nothing. Was wondering how the drive shaft meets the engine, could I have a bad cylinder..no error messages..

Hope I dont have to use the dealership....

Any suggestions let me know...

+1
    Jim let me know when the new addition to the family arives. Man a little boy thats excellent. u going to buy him a rxp-x in 14 years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information