Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawi 150 broke down = "limp mode" Any advice greatly apprecaited....

Had a bad day on Sunday. Went for a morning ride in sunday and that morning when I started the ski (had not run it in 2+ weeks) I noticed some more smoke then normal from the exhaust but after 1-2 minutes it went away. And about 2/3rds the way there my Kawi just shut down when we were at full throttle (was at full throttle at that point many times that morning and this time was the longest maybe at 3-4 minutes solid...The ski would not start at all after it shut down.... Thought I was done. Waited 5 minutes and tried it again and it started. Thought I was OK but the ski ran terrible and went into what I think is "limp mode"? I rode back at 27-32 MPH and if I did full throttle it sounded as if it was ready to stall or choking so I didn't try it again as I was far from home and 30mph was better then a tow in thatís for sure. A few times on the ride back it made it to 40mph but then back to 30's etc.... Had no torque and again running terrible....Anyway got in and checked the plugs...I pulled the plugs and the center plug had NO gap, it was as if the plug top was pressed in and was touching the other section where the gap should be, the other two had the gap etc. but all three had black rings around area by thread. Swapped them all for some older plugs I had just for a test and the ski ran the same like on "limp mode" only going 30mph range. I saved the plugs for inspection. Anyway not sure where to go from here/ ski has 45hrs. Thanks all...
    Last edited by 2006 RXT; 09-04-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Start out with a compression test, that mashed plug means something hit it . Next step would be pull the #2 head it may have broke a piston skirt if your lucky it didnt go through the bottom case. Check the bottom of the hull for debrise. Let us know what you find.

more info, thanks

Had someone mention it could be a wrist pin bearing that let go based on my description what do you think is that possible as well...I will check the inside of the ski as you mentioned. So reaching under the engine to find debrise you said? Would it be metal shavings or other? the ski ran back on limp mode at 30 mph for 30 min + so is that a good sign or says nothing could still be catastrophic?

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Start out with a compression test, that mashed plug means something hit it . Next step would be pull the #2 head it may have broke a piston skirt if your lucky it didnt go through the bottom case. Check the bottom of the hull for debrise. Let us know what you find.

Yes it could be a bearing, if it put something through the case it will look like gravel laying on the bottom. I would compression test first then go ahead and pull the head and cylinder something went through it thats why it mashed a plug.

+1
    I got your PM tonight. Your ski is running on only 2 cylinders that's why it feels like it's in a limp mode. I'd do what btldigger suggested, do a compression test. I'll bet the compression is way down in the center cylinder. I doubt if the problem is going have a simple solution. You won't know the extent of damage until you start to take it apart.

Richard

thanks

thanks guys, will do and post back what I find.... I assume this could be a costly fix if its the worse case, The fact that it still ran on two cyclinders is that any good sign at all? If the bottom blew out as noted would it still have ran and got me home? I am at work now but tonight when I go home will look below and see if I find any metal shavings....

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    I got your PM tonight. Your ski is running on only 2 cylinders that's why it feels like it's in a limp mode. I'd do what btldigger suggested, do a compression test. I'll bet the compression is way down in the center cylinder. I doubt if the problem is going have a simple solution. You won't know the extent of damage until you start to take it apart.

Richard

+1
    Im gonna probally hear sh*t for this but im gonna say it anyway. These things werent ment to be ran wot 3-4 minutes at a time. Your really beating the absolute shit out of it. This is why people throw rods, blow cranks ect. I never hold ful throttle longer than a couple seconds. Just my 2 cents.

I value all input

Thanks for the note back, I have never heard this. I can see 7+ minutes but 3-4? I am curious if others feel the same. Is this your view on 2 stroke ultra's or most pwc's? I have a 2006 RXT, what are your thoughts on that at WOT. (dont want to blow that up as well! ) Thanks again for your input always apprecaite when someone takes the time from there day to share their advise.... if your accurate then to be honest I would sell my ski's...if I could only hold WOT for such short bursts I would not enjoy....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    Im gonna probally hear sh*t for this but im gonna say it anyway. These things werent ment to be ran wot 3-4 minutes at a time. Your really beating the absolute shit out of it. This is why people throw rods, blow cranks ect. I never hold ful throttle longer than a couple seconds. Just my 2 cents.

+1
    RXT. That pretty much goes for any two stroke. Even went too mx school back in the day when i was 15, ( a whole 6 years ago) they told us not to hold wide open for long periods of time because it will ruin the engine. If you wanna see some real carnage, i race 1/8scale r/c nitro powered cars. The have 2 stroke nitro motors. When you hold WOT you have to count one onethousand two onethousand three one thousand. Dont stress.

man my Ultra just got a whole lot less fun

Then whats the correct way to ride, hold down to WOT then let off just a second and then right back onto WOT? How long is a safe WOT.... 1 minute?

Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    RXT. That pretty much goes for any two stroke. Even went too mx school back in the day when i was 15, ( a whole 6 years ago) they told us not to hold wide open for long periods of time because it will ruin the engine. If you wanna see some real carnage, i race 1/8scale r/c nitro powered cars. The have 2 stroke nitro motors. When you hold WOT you have to count one onethousand two onethousand three one thousand. Dont stress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information