09-04-2007, 05:25 PM #1
- Join Date
- Sep 2007
New here, so I will ask a few newbie questions about my '95 waveraider.
Hi all! So far have had some great reads of the posts! Thanks!
Okay a few questions that I have been thinking about. Have a '95 1100 with 140 hours. Bought it at 100 hours this year and it still runs the same - in my opinion, great!
1. Smoke - is this normal? is it okay? (i do not premix and use Yamalube)
2. Is there an air filter? Where? I don't think there is one.. Why? Should I get one? Someone told me it is like a motorcycle with no airfilter. Do motor cycles not have air filters? Maybe I am too much of a car guy.
3. Bow spray. Should I just deal with this? Have and am currently trying Riva splash guards.
4. Oh yeah... burns about 2.5 gallons fuel/hour and about a gallon of oil every 9 hours. Normal?
5. Any new tips you can give a fairly new raider owner are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
09-04-2007, 06:30 PM #2
WaveRaider Welcome to the Hulk!!
1. Smoke - is this normal? is it okay? (i do not premix and use Yamalube)Yes with Yamalube.
2. Is there an air filter? Where? I don't think there is one.. Why? Should I get one? Someone told me it is like a motorcycle with no airfilter. Do motor cycles not have air filters? No Flame arrestor and these can be replaced with aftermarket there is some work involved.
3. Bow spray. Should I just deal with this? Have and am currently trying Riva splash guards. Sounds like you got a plan here
4. Oh yeah... burns about 2.5 gallons fuel/hour and about a gallon of oil every 9 hours. Normal? This is normal my 1200 burns 10 in two hours. oil usage sounds high 22.5:1 per your statement shoud be around 32:1 stock.
Some of the Raider guys will jump in and offer up some more tips for you.
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM #3
2 1/2 gallons an hour ?
My 1200 uses 14 gallons an hour if I take it easy a tank lasts 1 1/2 hours.
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM #4
09-04-2007, 09:32 PM #5
- Join Date
- Aug 2007
- Cypress, TX
09-04-2007, 10:32 PM #6
Yamaha's patented left hook. It got my brother yesterday. I think he sprained both ankles The multi, full length chines grab the water and send the craft into a sudden sharp turn, while you continue to go straight. Really only a problem at or near top speed. ride plates and grates and nozzles get it under control, but I doubt it can be totally eliminated.
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM #7
- Join Date
- Sep 2007
re: New here, so I will ask a few newbie questions about my '95 waveraider.
Thanks for the welcome and the great replies!
Quick (maybe) follow-up question - If mine is burning too much oil, is there a way to adjust down the oil injection pump?
By the way, I went to the manual page and could not locate anything for a waveraider. It does seem to have some foriegn language in the titles, so maybe I missed it .
Update - Bolted my Riva splash guard on after a third of the rivets tore out in 3-5 foot waves. I now have bolts every 2 inches. Went out yesterday in calm to 4" water - was up to 50 mph or so. I dd not have to dry my glasses once, and I was surprisingly dry! Even after jumping a few wakes from power boats. Not sure if the Riva will hold up in higher waves on the great lake, but so far so good.
Today the lake should be flat and I am planning on opening that thing up!
09-08-2007, 04:00 AM #8
Welcome WaveRaider..... >> I`m glad that you found us here!
I would highly recommend that you swap to pre-mixing your oil, because Yamaha oil-pumps often go bad which will trash your motor VERY QUICKLY! So remove that oil pump and fit a blocking plate.
Swap to premix 40:1, or some guys here run 45:1 or 50:1 and your smoke probs will lessen @ low revs.
Gotta get yourself a measuring cup, to add the correct amount of oil to the amount of gallons of gas that you have just addded. But its easy to get used to once you start pre-mixing......
09-08-2007, 07:56 AM #9
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM #10
Welcome to the fourm. I agree with switching to premix, it's not hard to do. Just get a premix bottle like this.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By txunique in forum Polaris ProjectsReplies: 25Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
By DBINX in forum Honda How To & FAQsReplies: 5Last Post: 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM
By persun87 in forum Polaris How To & FAQsReplies: 2Last Post: 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
By djnik26 in forum Kawasaki Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
By RXPED in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 9Last Post: 10-09-2006, 07:57 AM