Searching for my first ski

Hey everyone!

I am searching for my first ski and will have about $1500 and $2000 to spend. What I want is speed and a fun ski for 180s and 360s, but I also have to consider my wife and some trusted friends riding as well.

I guess what I am looking for is a good all around ski. Any suggestions?

+1
    Hey,

Are u going to be riding solo or taking her for rides also. For that money its hard. If solo i would go with a 95 and newer xp. If riding with two people get a 94 or newer gtx seadoo. the gtx is stable wife will love it. Its not fast as hell but its a good learning ski. buy one see how much u ride then take that next step to getting a newer faster ski. Learn how to manover a cheapy first,.Good luck

Mostly riding solo but she will go for rides on the back or may ride it by herself.

I have to agree with Adam....

Even if you don't plan on modding it is an expensive sport/hobby(whichever you prefer). Do you have anything ready to go or are you looking to start out fresh.... because life vests, anchors, saftey flags, etc. is also expensive and if you are buying everything new you could easily break 300-500 depending on the quality in the extra starters alone!!!

I would go for one of the old school GTX's(90's) for a quality ski that you will be happy with. And now is the time to buy.... even though there is slim pickings... but you are more likely to get the seller to negotiate on price as they won't want to pay $$$ to store it for another winter or hang on to it if they are in the south and don't need to worry bout winter storage. Don't discount EBAY.... always good amount of skis rolling in, check all the classifieds on this forum and see what you can dig up. Be prepared to be willing to travel a little bit to find the perfect ski!!!

If not GTX check out an XP(depending on the combined weight you may be able to get away with both of you on there at times), keep in mind some of the older Yamaha's(800's).

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask q's. When you go to buy one, post either the add or the specifics in the general discussion area of the specific maker of the ski to find what you should be looking out for as far as obvious defects that may turn into money pits.

+1
    Also are you a big dude? If so the xp will not be a good ride. Im sure there are some yamahas out there. all i really know are seadoos. But the gtx is a great all around ski. Its a stable ski. U can literly stand on one side of the ski and not flip it if u lean over on the xp ur going in

I don't consider myself big but I am 5'11 and 210lbs which is probably over the average rider size most skis were designed for.

This will actually be my second ski, but the first ski doesn't count for me. I had bought a Polaris 780 SLX about a month ago only to find out it had a burn't center piston and a bad bearing in the crankcase. Never even got the chance to put it in the water, but I was able to get my money back so it all worked out. I will be much more cautious this time, and I am done with that brand. I am sticking with a brand that is still in production for parts reasons.

I wouldn't get a GTX,I would get a two seater if you want to spin,hop,and 360.My two cents.

+1
    I loved my 93 gtx. I just hated the colors but the ski ran great.

Thread Information