Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar

Angry R.I.P. Greenwheel

My mood: ...numb

To say I had a boost leak is...well...wishful thinking at this point. After my greehwheel install I had full boost for a few hours, 8.7lbs w/ stock IC. It dropped to the high sevens. Then, at the end of the day this past monday I was at 6.sumthin. Having already checke compression at the beginning of this weekend (135,135, 137ish) I was pretty confident I had a boost leak or I needed to tighten a slipping clutch after I had the SC'er broken down and put back together. So, last night I pull the intake tube off and ....SWIRLS of aluminum dust!!!!

So, once I picked myself up off the floor, gathered my tools thrown in my momentary tempertantrum, and put on a clean pair of undies, I pulled the charger to see the extent of the damage. My first reaction was, blown bearing. But, there was no obvious signs like noise or rough engine. Then I got the halves apart and saw the fins were toasted by some impact. Ingested something! There were no foriegn objects in the intake. Snapped some photos, sent them to the Masta. He informs me that even water or and oil/gas mixture droplet hitting a thin aluminum blade spinning at 50,000rpm can be disasterous. GUILTY, no catch can here. I KNOW there was no debris in the intake and actually added a filter/outerwears when the GW was installed. Judging by the nice, nasty film all over the inside of the SC'er, hose, and TB (which is also a beautiful shade of silver now too), that breather hose has been spewing some serious liquid, relatively speaking. Bigger boost=more fun AND more fuel/water from the breather.

My mood now? Surprisingly not too pissed. Is this just an excuse to go bigger? I THINK SO! Might throw the stock sc'er back in real quick, check the compression again, just to make sure I didn't make it worse over this weekend, and then.......RUDE?? (wifes gonna kill me).

Definite add-ons:
    new SC'er, green or otherwise.
    catch can
    external IC(hell, why not!)
    new injectors, yada, yada, everything that goes with it.

Sean

On the upside I got to meet a couple guys here, when they came to pick up the trailer last night! Good people here!!! Great to meet you MIARider and maguyver. Glad you two made it home safe last night!!

pictures shortly...gotta switch computers (this one freezes just openig mozzila)
    Last edited by SeanCucf; 09-05-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry to hear that man. RIP

+1
    Man that sucks. Its ok buy some flowers for the wife. THen sneak in the wheel

R.I.P. 2

i feel your pain:mine happened a little different though
    Last edited by apactorpedo; 09-05-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
    My mood: ...numb

To say I had a boost leak is...well...wishful thinking at this point. After my greehwheel install I had full boost for a few hours, 8.7lbs w/ stock IC. It dropped to the high sevens. Then, at the end of the day this past monday I was at 6.sumthin. Having already checke compression at the beginning of this weekend (135,135, 137ish) I was pretty confident I had a boost leak or I needed to tighten a slipping clutch after I had the SC'er broken down and put back together. So, last night I pull the intake tube off and ....SWIRLS of aluminum dust!!!!

So, once I picked myself up off the floor, gathered my tools thrown in my momentary tempertantrum, and put on a clean pair of undies, I pulled the charger to see the extent of the damage. My first reaction was, blown bearing. But, there was no obvious signs like noise or rough engine. Then I got the halves apart and saw the fins were toasted by some impact. Ingested something! There were no foriegn objects in the intake. Snapped some photos, sent them to the Masta. He informs me that even water or and oil/gas mixture droplet hitting a thin aluminum blade spinning at 50,000rpm can be disasterous. GUILTY, no catch can here. I KNOW there was no debris in the intake and actually added a filter/outerwears when the GW was installed. Judging by the nice, nasty film all over the inside of the SC'er, hose, and TB (which is also a beautiful shade of silver now too), that breather hose has been spewing some serious liquid, relatively speaking. Bigger boost=more fun AND more fuel/water from the breather.

My mood now? Surprisingly not too pissed. Is this just an excuse to go bigger? I THINK SO! Might throw the stock sc'er back in real quick, check the compression again, just to make sure I didn't make it worse over this weekend, and then.......RUDE?? (wifes gonna kill me).

Definite add-ons:
    new SC'er, green or otherwise.
    catch can
    external IC(hell, why not!)
    new injectors, yada, yada, everything that goes with it.

Sean

On the upside I got to meet a couple guys here, when they came to pick up the trailer last night! Good people here!!! Great to meet you MIARider and maguyver. Glad you two made it home safe last night!!

pictures shortly...gotta switch computers (this one freezes just openig mozzila)
    r.i.p .my condulation to the widow.i will send flowers .att the body will be in cremation.

sean, sorry to hear about the s/c.

+ shop rag =
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	37556  

wow apac, how did that happen?

shop rag found its way down my intake tube and somehow it started and somehow the throttle was hit and and and......i guess the intercooler was hungry before and after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM000778.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	37558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM000770.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	37559  

Quote Originally Posted by apactorpedo View Post
    shop rag found its way down my intake tube and somehow it started and somehow the throttle was hit and and and......i guess the intercooler was hungry before and after
    that a good one

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information