Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Antifreeze for the winter

I know the 1.5L SC has a closed cooling system but do I have to put antifreeze anywhere else for the winter

You will need to put antifreeze into the intercooler to purge the water if it's an SCIC. If SC, then just flush the exhaust with fresh water like you would normally do after riding. And blip the throttle slightly after the hose is turned off to get the majority of the water out of the exhaust.... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by xrsrolla View Post
    I know the 1.5L SC has a closed cooling system but do I have to put antifreeze anywhere else for the winter
    Yes you have to add antifreeze.

Lake water from the jet pump is used to cool the intercooler(if equiped), the exhaust manifold and the exhaust itself in that order. None of these components are self draining. Meaning you have to add antifreeze in freezing condition.

Just snapping the throttle when out of the water only removes the water from the waterbox(muffler) and not the manifold or intercooler.

Page 6 shows how the water system flows through the 4 tec engine.
    http://69.28.79.48/Instructions/rs15050_1.pdf

I use a small pump and disconect the feed hose from the pump shoe on the rear of the engine compartment. This hose feeds the water to cool the intercooler and manifold. I hook my pump up there and pump about 1 gal of antifreeze in. This is more than required but i like to be sure it good. You can then start and snap the throttle to get any remaining extra antifreeze out of the waterbox.

This is the way i winterize my ski. This is not that hard to do. There are many ways to do this. This is just the way i do mine.

Any specific antifreeze product?

Does the reddish pink plumbing antifreeze product suffice or do we step up to the non pre-mixed automotive stuff?

Thanks in advanmce. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ballfire8888 View Post
    Does the reddish pink plumbing antifreeze product suffice or do we step up to the non pre-mixed automotive stuff?

Thanks in advanmce. Dave
    Was recommended to opt ONLY for automotive NON DILUTED, (no pre-mix) green regular but biodegrable prestone....no plumbing pinkish antifreeze there....not enough as this is close to the premix strenght....not recommended.

2006 Shop Manual Winterizing

According to the 2006 Seadoo Sportster Challenger 180 Shop Manual on the NA Sportster 4Tec (155 HP) the exhaust manifold is self draining. Is there anyone out there who winterizes their own boat (the NA Sportster) in a very cold climate (say -25F for typical lows) and doesn't pump antifreeze into the open loop cooling system for the exhaust system? I would skip this step based on the manual, but many here seem to think otherwise. (I realize that the IC engines definitely require this step as stated in the manual, I just don't want to do more than is necessary.) Thanks.

Dennis

Yes the exhaust is self draining....BUT it's better for all the models of 4tec to add some antifreeze in there...you might save 5 minutes and 300 ml of antifreeze, but if it freeze and break something...well you'll end up a bit poorer after the repair bills...!!!

+1
    the ONLY ANTI-FREEZE i EVER RUN in the WINTER is BUDWEISER & CROWN ROYAL and i NEVER DELUTE EITHER ONE! whoops wrong forum!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ballfire8888 View Post

Thanks in advanmce. Dave
    I use RV/Marine antifreeze. It is pink in color. I use it straight out of the bottle. The bottle says it is safe to -50 when used straight. I believe it is evironment friendly but i'm not 100% sure on that because i don't have a bottle of it handy to check.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Freeze Protection 155HP Sportster

Yes the manifold is self draining on the 155 HP but the hoses and muffler are not.

I have the 06 155HP Sportster and last winter I didn't run any antifreeze through the exhaust system. What happened was all the hoses that contained sea water froze up and slightly expanded. When spring came I was really luck that none of those plastic elbows that the hoses run to cracked and broke. This winter I want to use the bilde pump trick and run a piece of hose to the flush connector and attach it to a cheap bildge pump and sumerge the pump in a bucket of antifreeze.

My question is should I use 100% antifreeze or can I just use 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water?

Thanks for any info...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information