Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: carbon seal?

carbon seal?

usually I see a little black line under the shaft/boot/bellows where the carbon seal is. Since I always keep the ski clean, I`d notice is something has changed or different.
    After a hard day of riding, I notice black sooty stuff all under the drive shaft, way more than normal, some of this dust got on the air filter, tube, back of engine. I cleaned it up with spray nine marine and all the white rags turned black from this stuff... What is this, is it carbon from the carbon seal? why now? there was no water in the hull , could this wear or whatever have happened from towing the ultra 250 about 1/4 mile to shore? is the seal still good? does this mean it`s on it`s way out? the carbon seal only has about 44 hours on it and it has never been over-heated...any comments are appreciated...PR...

+1
    It's probably carbon dust generated fron the seal, Andy. Any imbalance in the shaft or prop seems to cause quite a bit of it. I had alot of the stuff strewn everywhere after I rode around awhile with some nylon twine wrapped around the prop shaft.

I guess if imbalance occurs- the seal doesn't ride on the support ring correctly.

Thanks Vic...

I fired up the ski and watched the carbon seal and boot, it doesn`t seem to be oscillating or running out of round. It does move a little bit and gets smoother with higher RPM`s...
    so, I`m pretty much surprised at all the dust.
    BUT: even though the carbon seal is newer the metal mating surface is original as is the dirve shaft, so do you think the metal surface/floating ring is worn and wearing down the carbon seal?...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-15-2007 at 08:58 PM.

any other thoughts?...PR...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    nope, you guys covered it all already

again...more dust...

I had a good day of very hard riding, minimal water in hull most likely due to enormous waves out in AC during the NE shootout ride...
    so, I have more dust and even after washing the inside down I can see it trailed all the way to the back where the drain plugs are...
    Does this mean the carbon seal is shot? on the way out?
    what do I do? looking at the boot, seal, clamps, carbon seal from edge, appears to be ok...
    can I still get a few more rides out of it, or is it the end of the season for me?...PR...

i think mine has gone but iam getting real bad cavitation and a fair bit of water getting in there,are u cavitating

Quote Originally Posted by rior1 View Post
    i think mine has gone but iam getting real bad cavitation and a fair bit of water getting in there,are u cavitating
    none, no cavitation at all... checked for leaks, so far so good, surprisingly this is the 2nd time Ive seen this dust (last 2 rides) I might as well replace all the related stuff over the winter. I`ve been reading here about that seal that shibb, reid,and I think rxpdoo are using. Maybe a better thing...
    Before dust:
    Skat modded pump with SS wear ring with stock prop
    after dust: stock 06 pump, plastic wear ring with 12\20 soals prop
    These pumps are in good working order as is props so I doubt that this change has anything to do with seeing this carbon dust now...coincidence...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-16-2007 at 05:42 PM.

mmm sounds like your seal is ok at moment but taking some flak have u checked your engine mounts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information