Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 RXP SC removal

New to posting, been reading for a while, awesome forum! You guys are the greatest!

Here we go,
    I知 planning pulling my SC this tonight or tomorrow, and checking the health of the washers, and looking into replacing them with the metal ones. From what I see to pull the SC out you just need basic tools, patience, and a little mechanical knowledge. Now reinstalling the SC, do you need to reapply any grease, or oils, or gaskets installed? And from what I can tell, if you are planning on only changing the washers, you only need the: Support Plate, and Retaining Key (shaft holding tool).
    Will you also need to apply grease to the washers? And I知 assuming I will need to replace one of the hose clamps once putting the thing back together. Am i missing anything?
    I just want to make sure I order all the tools I will need at once, so I can try to do the whole thing in one weekend

On a side note, what is considered high hours on a 2005 RXP Stock?

I have 140 hours and it still runs like new. I have heard of peopole having hundreds of hours. i have seen 1000 hours on a GTX with the same motor.

The link below has a step by step for removing your sc. I recently did the same thing for my 04 and i replaced my washers. I looked up the riva manual for replacing the washers and it was also very helpful. I would definatley reccomend you buy one of Jerry's retaining keys and not the sea doo part mine bent like a mother scratcher. I put the instructions as the second link. The riva instructions only say to use red lock tite when putting the end nut back on and to use anti sieze on the non painted part of the SC where it touches the engine. You will also need the torx adapters to get the bolts out. I would suggest replacing those torx bolts with some stainless steel ones from your local hardware store i stripped the back one bad and had to cut it off.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13403

http://69.28.79.48/Instructions/rs1751_hdw_946.pdf

You can also replace those silly external torx bolts on the earlier skis with the 8mm hex heads that came on the 06+07s.

You'll definitely need to replace those oetiker clamps when you remove the hose from the sc outlet and tb.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    I still just use a 1/4inch socket/wrench on the torx bolts. YOu'd be best to get the two hose clamps now.

antiseize this area:

edit: oh yeah, a quality torque wrench is a must also.

Wow thanks for the quick info!
    I知 assuming I can replace the hose clamps with something from an auto parts store? As for the Oil that is needed on the washers, does it need to be BRP 4 stroke oil? Or can it be something like Castrol GTX 10-40w? I guess I need to find a decent Torque wrench for under $200 bucks some where; they seem to be fairly pricy. So you do not need the special Torx Screw Adapter?
    Looks like I will have to get a few things on order and do this next weekend instead of this one.

Dumb question: Is the supercharger always in use or just when you are punching it, trying to get up to the higher speeds? (I assume it痴 always in use, because its attached to the driveshaft)
    90% of my time on the water is tiring to learn to wakeboard so I知 typical at low speeds and low RPM痴. Is this less stress or more stress on the washers in the SC?

Yes the SC is always moving just as you said its gear driven so as the motor turns so does the SC. I used some 10w-40 on mine and havent had any problems. Maybe its just me but using that 1/4" open end wrench is how i stripped that back bolt but i dont know how else to get it off other than the 1/4" wrench, after you get it off i would definatley replace those torx bolts.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    you don't need the torx adaptor. I use a 1/4inch socket on the two front bolts, and a 1/4inch box end on the back one. You are correct it is always spinning, though not always making boost (too long to explain). Towing isn't any more stress on the sc'er.

Did you read the "how to" on supercharger removal? It was done on an 05 RXP.

Sean

Edit: He's right though, replacing the bolts once they are off is best. (I've reused my OE torx about 4-5 times now though, just be gentle and even with the pressure.)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitewonder86 View Post
    Yes the SC is always moving just as you said its gear driven so as the motor turns so does the SC. I used some 10w-40 on mine and havent had any problems. Maybe its just me but using that 1/4" open end wrench is how i stripped that back bolt but i dont know how else to get it off other than the 1/4" wrench, after you get it off i would definatley replace those torx bolts.
    The 1/4" wrench works on the 04-05 models. For 06, use an 8mm wrench/socket.

Yes I have read the how to, got all the information printed out and ready to go, I just need to get all the parts now. I’m going to assume I will not damage the existing bolts, if I do ill replace then with the bolts mentioned, I’m sure I can get them at Ace or another local hardware shop.
    I’m sure ill have more questions once I start the removal, but I think that I’m going to postpone it till next weekend when I have the parts. Just want to verify that these are the parts that I will need to use to fully remove, and reinstall the SC:

1x Metal washers for the 05
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...duc ts_id=389

1x Retaining Key (Shaft holding tool)
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_11&produ cts_id=550

1x Support Plate
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_11&produ cts_id=314

1x Torx Hex Bit Set (may be able to use ¼ inch socket instead)
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_11&produ cts_id=32

1x Loc-Tite Blue
    1x Loc-Tite Red
    1x Non-Residual cleaner
    1x Anti-seize
    1x 10w-40 Motor Oil (NOT synthetic)
    2x new hose clamps
    And a basic tools aka pliers, screw drivers, ratchets, etc…
    Oh! and the Torque wrench (any suggestions on a brand thats good?)

On a side note, do you guys work on your skis on the trailer? Or do you guys use a lift or a sling or other?
    Last edited by Mccoy; 09-07-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Forgot Torque wrench

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information