Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Gas in Oil Coast Guard Response

The Coast Guard, by law, has very limited recall authority over recreational boat manufacturers. We can order a recall of vessels that are found to be in violation of our Federal safety regulations or vessels that contain a substantial risk defect. The leaking of gasoline into the oil system problem you describe, although a serious issue, is not a violation of our safety regulations nor does it meet with our consistent application of criteria within our authority to determine this problem to be a substantial risk defect. The Coast Guard's determinations of a defect that creates a substantial risk of personal injury to the public (safety defect) are based on three criteria: 1) The hazard must occur virtually without warning - an obvious risk or normal wear and tear do not normally create the basis for a defect, 2) The defect must occur with some frequency - one isolated occurrence usually does not constitute the basis for finding a defect, 3) The defect must be the primary cause of a condition that clearly presents the risk of death or serious injury. These criteria are not absolute but they provide a framework for being consistent in the application of our authority for initiating recalls of unsafe boats and associated equipment.

The gas in oil problem is a mechanical/technical problem rather than a safety problem. Problems such as this are normally resolved through a warranty recall issued by the manufacturer. I am aware that the manufacturer has yet to determine that this problem is their responsibility and they have not, as yet, issued a warranty recall. We do not have the authority or the resources to intervene in disputes over warranty issues between consumers and manufacturers.

If you are a member of BoatU.S. I recommend that you contact the BoatU.S. Consumer Protection Bureau. Several years ago BoatU.S. and the National Marine Manufacturer’s Association cooperatively created a dispute mediation program to handle problems such as you have encountered. You can avail yourself of this program at http://my.boatus.com/consumer/dispute.asp.

Phil Cappel
    Chief, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division (CG-3PCB-3)
    Office of Boating Safety, United States Coast Guard
    Phone: (202) 372-1076 Fax: (202) 372-1933

SeaDoocer
    That's not the end....they are being responded to accordingly.

But, I did like the idea of contacting the link which they provided!

+1
    Like I mentioned in a prior post....contact the EPA . They will be all over Kawai's butt for the "gas tank venting" info in the owners manual and might consider the oil dilution with fuel in violation of the Clean Air Act and emission controls because of extra fumes created when the oil gets hot.

Richard

Way2Fast has been a tremendous source of info for me since I joined this forum. Sure do love the Mustang High Impact High Collar PFD he recommended and a lot of other equipment too. But contacting the Environmental Protection Agency? This is where I must part company and vigorously disagree. This is not an EPA issue. If you are so concerned about air emissions, have you asked the EPA to test the after market exhaust mods that are being sold and used? What exactly is the emissions exemption that some people seem to think apply to their exhaust mods? I personally would like to know fron the EPA whether enough has been done to protect the coral, mannatees, etc from all fumes, noise, pollution etc caused by any kind of pwc operating anywhere in Fla. what exactly is your agends Way2? I would value your opinion about the cause and fix of the problem way more than these off the wall suggestions where to lodge the next complaint. What's next, anyway, the ASCPA?

Yep, just what we need, another agency breathing down our necks. It's not bad enough the general population hates us, most boaters pretty much hate us, we've been thrown out of god knows how many riding areas without justification, false claims of environmental impact. How about you go after the real culprit in this case,,, KAWI !! stop giving anybody else the ammunition to continue to shut us down.. !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Way2Fast has been a tremendous source of info for me since I joined this forum. Sure do love the Mustang High Impact High Collar PFD he recommended and a lot of other equipment too. But contacting the Environmental Protection Agency? This is where I must part company and vigorously disagree. This is not an EPA issue. If you are so concerned about air emissions, have you asked the EPA to test the after market exhaust mods that are being sold and used? What exactly is the emissions exemption that some people seem to think apply to their exhaust mods? I personally would like to know fron the EPA whether enough has been done to protect the coral, mannatees, etc from all fumes, noise, pollution etc caused by any kind of pwc operating anywhere in Fla. what exactly is your agends Way2? I would value your opinion about the cause and fix of the problem way more than these off the wall suggestions where to lodge the next complaint. What's next, anyway, the ASCPA?
    Everyone is looking for a way to make Kawasaki responsible for repairing whatever defect the Ultras have that is causing the fuel in oil problem. If the USCG declines jurisdiction in this matter, maybe the EPA would be able to help. Kawasaki's suggestion to "vent the gas tank to relieve pressure" is an illegal solution to a problem. While it may or may not be contributing to fuel in the oil, the fuel entering the oil, by whatever means, probably would be in violation of the Clean Air Act...as it will turn to vapor and wind up in the atmosphere. Kawasaki has denied that there is a problem and they act like it's news to them anytime a disgrunted owner calls to make a complaint. Having the EPA knocking on their door might wake the engineers up and have them fix what's wrong !! It's not the responsibility of new owners to try and correct problems with their skis...it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to do it under warranty. If a recall is needed ...so be it. If you yell loud enough, you'll get results.

Richard

squeaky wheel gets the grease..all we can hope for now is r&d oil fix..

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Only response to that is a muffler/waterbox does not clean the air. It just makes the air quieter....If you mess with catylitic converters on cars, or change the way the O2 sensor works then that would change the quality of the air coming out.

But again, this is not a Coast Guard issue in anyway shape or form. Your engine seizing does not mean someone is going to get hurt.

Or you could trade them in.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information