Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Subarman

Arrow Why Won't It Go!!

Well my purchased used 96 Three seater Doo, Don't! Sure it runs good and the engine sounds strong and doesn't smoke and no funny noise's. So I take it out to our local lake and launch it. Wife goes to take off with it and NOTHING! Well at least very little. The engine rev's but the boat don't go. She limps it back to shore and I pull the seat off look at the drive shaft (?) and it looks good, but is taking on water at the seal where the shaft leaves engine compartment. I get it home and it seams the pump prop is firmly attached to the engine. So PLEASE, help me. What on gods earth am I not seeing? I realize I will be pulling out something to fix the shaft seal, but will I or should I be looking for something obvious or hidden? Thank you all.

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkster365 View Post
    Well my purchased used 96 Three seater Doo, Don't! Sure it runs good and the engine sounds strong and doesn't smoke and no funny noise's. So I take it out to our local lake and launch it. Wife goes to take off with it and NOTHING! Well at least very little. The engine rev's but the boat don't go. She limps it back to shore and I pull the seat off look at the drive shaft (?) and it looks good, but is taking on water at the seal where the shaft leaves engine compartment. I get it home and it seams the pump prop is firmly attached to the engine. So PLEASE, help me. What on gods earth am I not seeing? I realize I will be pulling out something to fix the shaft seal, but will I or should I be looking for something obvious or hidden? Thank you all.
    First of all - it should smoke. It's a 2-stroke - they burn oil by design.

When you say the engine revs - what RPM are you getting? If you're getting full RPM and it's not moving I'd guess stripped splines or destroyed impeller/wear ring. When you pull the pump off (see below) to change the seals you'll see.

The leaking seal needs to be taken care of ASAP obviously. Get new seals and bearings. It's not a huge job although the pump needs to come off.

Sounds like the carbon seal.

Where are you located ?

Subarman

Wink

Ok, I'm heading out back to tear into this silly beast. I'll report what I find in just a little bit. Ibreakstuff you really are a true help, you always come through. Oh, and yes the Doo smokes (like a 2 stroke will) just not excessively. Lastly, if you ever find yourself in sunny So. Cal. find me and the family and I will join you for a day full of fun on my dime, I owe ya'. Location? I be in California, the Perris area, and not far from the lake.
    Thank You! Good Day to all.
    -Kirk
    P.S. It revs upwards of 7k, normal, right?
    Last edited by kirkster365; 09-06-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Needed to add response

Jug Inspector
    Yes, 7k is normal.

If the engine is turning, the prop isn't moving there's only a few options:

Stripped splines in impeller
    Stripped splines in coupler
    Stripped splines on driveshaft
    Broken driveshaft
    Loose pump or engine and the driveshaft fell out.

Since you're leaking water I would imagine that the motor mounts are shot and/or the engine is misaligned causing premature wear of the seals and possibly the splines on any of the above items.

Lemme know what you find out. Thanks for the offer, I'd love to come out to S. Cal sometimes. I have a few friends out that way.

Subarman

Angry

all right, i've been out there for two sticking hours and i can not get this pump off this stupid doo!!!! so please tell me what it is i must be doing wrong, or what am i over looking, or is there a trick to this that i do not know. please help me because i've got a loaded 12 gauge thats telling me to "pick me up, and put big holes in that stupid doo!!" needless to say patching holes is something i know i can not do. so please somebody help me soon! THANK YOU!
    -KIRK

Jug Inspector
    Take the linkage for the steering off, the linkage for the VTS off, the four bolts all the way in the back that run through the hull. 17mm I think? I use a 24 inch extension to get them off.

After you take that all off there are 3 things that could be holding the pump on:

1. The driveshaft is so mangled inside the impeller and hub that it won't let it slide out.
    2. Silicone sealant - the pump is sealed to the hull, and the thru-hull auto-bilge and water inlet tubes are sealed thru it.
    3. Friction/oxidation/corrosion - crap on the stud threads, washers stuck on the threads, the pump kind of sits in the shoe a little, etc.

If you have those 4 bolts off, wiggle the crap out of it. You'll see one side bust loose. Just keep wiggling back and forth, up and down until it comes off. If this does not work, I would try using a stiff scraper-like tool to get between the pump and the hull. I've NEVER had to go that route. It's always come loose with the wiggling, maybe a little fist pounding on the sides of the pump.

+1
    Try short little persuasions with a rubber mallot.

Subarman

Cool

Ah-Ha!!! Mr. Ibreakstuff, you are truelly a smart person, I say this because you nailed everything wrong with this Doo! Let me explain and therorize-
    1. You said "motor mounts", BINGO! Both mounts on the front are seperated like a bad divorse! So, needless to say the engine jumps horriblly, which takes me to the next item.
    2. The ring thats installed into the hull and is around the drive shaft, I belive it's called the "carbon ring", was so destroyed that there was no way it would ever hold back any kind of fluid, let alone water.
    3. Corrosion, was on each end of the solid steel drive shaft, and the silver do-hicky at the side nearest the engine, that has a seal and what should have been needle bearings, was locked hard to the drive shaft.
    Anyway you called it, my hat goes off to you!
    Now, let me think here- If the parts that were suppose to seal water out, don't seal, and insted leak badly. Wouldn't this cause my "no go" situation? The pump (jet respectfully) will draw what ever is the least resisting to it, correct? So would I be correct in thinking that the pump is sucking a whole bunch of air? and aill this air would only make for pretty boubles, not Doo movement? If this is correct than I know the parts I will need to repair this beast, not cheap either, by the way. Unless you know of an aftermarket parts supplier for SeaDoo's.
    In any case let me know if I'm on the right track, oh God of SeaDoo knowlage. Again, thank you for all your help and wisdom.
    -Kirk

P.S. My other Doo has that VTS system, it of course doesn't work. So, I was wondering, what do you know about VTS? Maybe I won't push my luck.

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkster365 View Post

3. Corrosion, was on each end of the solid steel drive shaft, and the silver do-hicky at the side nearest the engine, that has a seal and what should have been needle bearings, was locked hard to the drive shaft.

P.S. My other Doo has that VTS system, it of course doesn't work. So, I was wondering, what do you know about VTS? Maybe I won't push my luck.
    For the first part, could you explain a little better? Silver do-hicky - as in the hub that threads onto the PTO of the engine? Or what? Maybe a picture will help?

As for the VTS you need to figure out if it has juice. Do you hear clicking when you push the up/down buttons? Either way check both the fuses in the rear electrical box. Even if they're good you may have corrosion in there (I did) and I replaced the fuse-holders. If all that is getting juice and it's not working; or it's blowing fuses constantly then most likely the VTS box is shot. If you can live without a guage and can do a little wiring you can use a heavy-amp DPDT switch and wire it in, or make a circuit with 2 buttons and a couple relays. I have a schematic around here somewhere I drew up a while back to help someone else out.

I won't be around much this weekend as I'm going to HayDays in MN for "The world's largest snowmobile event" and internet will be a pain to get. I'm still trying to get an EVDO card. We'll see what happens.

Good luck, let me know you find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information