Gas in Oil, just back from dealer

Hey Everyone. I debated posting this on the performance forum, but I have read so much about the gas in oil problem here that I had to.
    Dropped the Ski at the dealer two days ago. 13 hours on it, and pretty strong smell of gas in the oil. They called today and wanted to do a 10 hour service on it, oil/filter/lube some things and make sure everything is tight. Wanted almost $200 for it. When I went in to pick it up today, the girl behind the counter and one of service guys are running this smack that if I don't have the service done by them, my warranty will be voided and to "protect myself", I should pay them to do it.
    I'll spare you the details, but an hour later, I had gotten the svc manager down to $108 and should be done tomorrow. One of the main points I made to him was that I didn't put the gas in the oil and it didn't belong there. Ergo, it should be covered under warranty. He kept telling me about the 10 hour service too.
    I got home and went to the owners manual, apparently the oil isn't supposed to be changed till 25 hours. I'm sure your all aware of that. Anyway, here is the important part: The service manager called Me, and told me that after talking to Kawi again, the oil change will be covered under warranty, because it is contaminated and is before the recommended change interval.
    Additionally, in his notes from the first phone call:

tank of gas last' as little as an hour.

rings will seat by 20 hours not 10

there is a 10 hour break in period, not 5.

Well there it is. thought you all would like to know..........

there is a 10 hour break in period, not 5.

If this what they are telling everyone now, they should send out a supplement stating that. I can't remember for sure but I do believe that my manual says 5 hours.

it does say that, cuz I followed it too. But when I was talking to the service manager, he had taken notes during his call to Kawi apparently, He said 10 hour break in and there can be fuel in the oil all the way up to 20 hours. Funny but the first oil change is called for at 25 hours.????

Funny but the first oil change is called for at 25 hours.????

Page 117 of my owners manual says change oil every 50 hrs. or once a year. No where do I see where it say change oil every 25 hrs. I don't see how a dealer can tell you thay you have change oil every 25hrs when it says in the owners manual and the service manual every 50 hrs.

But isn't there a section on the maintenance chart for the first 10 hour service. check belt, change oil?

on pg 117 in my manual it says every 50 hours (note 1). Note 1: or every year whichever comes first

+1
    Dealers can be a real pain. Remember there just there to make money..not long term customers.

I have bought 4 brand new skis in the past and all of them had a 10 hr break in period. I would recommend changing oil after the 10 hr break in period and made sure it was break in right if you plan on keeping your ski for a while.

I don't know what the break in period is anymore. The manual says 5 hrs and I've heard every number up to 50 hours within this forum. Of course, you can't go off of what people say in here since everyone rides differently and has different ideas of break-in.

If your not mechanical inclinde yourself and dont know what to think. Just do some research or find out by someone who is. Dont believe any average joe on here. Im stuck in my own ways since I do my own work. I dont trust anyone working on my crap with vehicles, skis, ect. What helps me out is being a technician most of my life.

Thread Information