Need some advice..took on water

First- I've been searching for hours on the internet looking for some tips/advice, and reading some of your posts on here has been most helpful.

Ok. Second, and to the issue/question I have-

I woke up one morning to find the rear end of my 'doo submerged in water. It was obvious it had taken on water overnight. In my haste, I jumped on the thing and started it up and drove it to the beach to tralier it and take a look at what was going on. When I took it out, I opened up the seat and discovered water had filled up nearly half of the hull. I have driven the machine since, for a few minutes, and it has run fine. Is there anything I should do before using it for longer stretches? I am apprehensive to use it fearing further damage, and have been inclined to take it to the dealer, but do not want to spend an arm and a leg for nothing (if nothing needs to be done).

Quote Originally Posted by Mainah024 View Post
    First- I've been searching for hours on the internet looking for some tips/advice, and reading some of your posts on here has been most helpful.

Ok. Second, and to the issue/question I have-

I woke up one morning to find the rear end of my 'doo submerged in water. It was obvious it had taken on water overnight. In my haste, I jumped on the thing and started it up and drove it to the beach to tralier it and take a look at what was going on. When I took it out, I opened up the seat and discovered water had filled up nearly half of the hull. I have driven the machine since, for a few minutes, and it has run fine. Is there anything I should do before using it for longer stretches? I am apprehensive to use it fearing further damage, and have been inclined to take it to the dealer, but do not want to spend an arm and a leg for nothing (if nothing needs to be done).
    If you've driven it then there must not be water in the cylinders. Did you find the source of the leak? I would at least change the oil to be sure no water got in there. You should have water in the intake and SC which would require removing the hoses and tilting the ski to the back for it to run out. If water in cylinders then remove the plugs and blow it out by cranking the engine at wide open throttle. I used seadoo lube to spray the cylinders and plug coils and connections. If saltwater then wash everything inside the ski.

Yes I did find the source. And it was not salt water. Thank you very much for the advice! I will give that a try.

Now onto another thing...I hit something and broke off an OPAS fin. I tried to unattach the whole rig (did not like them anyways) and found open holes in the hull, so I put the bolts back in and just popped the good fin off. Should I try sealing those up with some kind of water proofing caulk or something? I looked online for a block-off system, but do not want to spend the $100 for it. Not really concerned with the looks of it if I leave these on without the fins.

In short, my recommendation would be to do it right and either fix the OPAS or put the block offs on. Personally I wouldn't want to put myself or other riders in a situation of abandon ski in the middle of a lake.
    Unless of course you have insurance that covers recovery

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Yup, fix it or block it off the right way...

Change your oil at least once, if you see the oil a bit milky change it a few times together with the oil filter of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainah024 View Post
    Yes I did find the source. And it was not salt water. Thank you very much for the advice! I will give that a try.

Now onto another thing...I hit something and broke off an OPAS fin. I tried to unattach the whole rig (did not like them anyways) and found open holes in the hull, so I put the bolts back in and just popped the good fin off. Should I try sealing those up with some kind of water proofing caulk or something? I looked online for a block-off system, but do not want to spend the $100 for it. Not really concerned with the looks of it if I leave these on without the fins.
    If you don't want to do the blockoffs, use ultra black silicone or 'Right Stuff'
    and put the old opas plates back on to seal the holes and prevent leaking.

By the way, have you replaced your supercharger ceramic washers yet? If not, do it very soon.

Thread Information