Help, Ski's Ate Grass!

We were out riding the ski's Sunday and I accidentally drove through a huge patch of lake grass. The motor started to wind real high with only a little forward movement. I immediately stopped trying to move it any further. My girlfriend saw I was stuck and rode over to me, through the grass. I was trying to wave her off but I guess it looked like I was waving for assistance. Of course we then had two stuck ski's. The one she was on did the same thing mine did but got a hot indication on the MFD pretty quick. She also shut it down quickly. Luckily some family members were out in the ski boat and we were able to tow both of them in. They are still docked on the beach behind the house. Tomorrow I plan on pulling them out of the water to have a look. How do I proceed to clean the grass out and get them back on the water? I have never touched the pump jet, coolant system, or intake grates of a ski before. I am hoping that no serious damage was done and it's a quick clean out job. Advice??

Thank you
    Last edited by rickreeves1; 09-07-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Man, next time, just shut the skis off, reach under there and pull it out. Now, pull it all out by hand and flush the thing, also run some water into the grate and out the pump (hose it out) so to speak...should be no real damage done.

+1
    I would also remove the inlet hose to the cooling system and make sure it's free of any debris.

+1
    Man, my Kaw eats grass like crazy

Problem solved. I lifted the back end of both ski's onto a block of wood. I removed the intake grates and cleared everything out. It's a good thing I checked because one of the intake grates was loose. They were both completely blocked with huge clumps of grass. Your cows would have been happy. Now that I see what happened I can just clear them out in the water next time.

Thanks for the help guys.

+1
    Did you check to make sure nothing got past the screens and into the cooling system? It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Did you check to make sure nothing got past the screens and into the cooling system? It happens all the time.
    Yup. Where the right angle is from the pump cone to the cooling tube will collect debris....You'd be suprised to see what passes through that little screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    No. I should have done that too. I reached my hand in and looked down the area where I removed the grate and it was all clear. I'm guessing the coolant system was the black tube toward the rear, about an inch in diameter, that goes straight back into the hull? If that's it where would the grate/filter/whatever be for it? I'll check my manual but it's not with me at the moment. I did run both ski's about 2 miles each with no overheating or any other noticeable problems.

Thank again.
    Last edited by rickreeves1; 09-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.

+1
    If you went 2 miles you should be O.K. but if something is there it may take a while to get compacted somewhere and create a problem later. Just keep an eye on the temp, you're probably just fine.

Correct, the black tube is the water supply. The filter is on the other side of the pump, near the exit nozzle.

Thread Information