Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with my grandmother's MSX150

Great resource (greenhulk), found it today.

My mother-in-law kindly bought a used 2004 MSX150 with 30hrs. The first day on the water the engine would shutdown for no apparent reason. No warning light or messages prior to shutdown. However the engine would restart immediately, show ten flashes of the light and check engine on the MFD, and run perfectly until doing it again. Lather-rinse-repeat.

She returned it to the dealer who in an apparent measure of good faith replaced a sensor, not sure which one, test rode for 30 minutes and of course pronouned the patient healthy and ready for work. Unfortunately...

Same problem today after picking up the boat and going straight to the lake. The following is a summary of the conditions under which this occurs:

Fast or slow; doesn't matter. Full throttle or idle; doesn't matter. Turning or straight; doesn't matter. No overtemp light or other warnings; lift up the seat and it's relatively cool and dry in the engine compartment. No smoke, hesatation, pings, knocks, etc. Runs 62MPH indicated at 7000 RPM. Shoots out of the hole and can even be restarted while decelerating underway.

The oil level is at the top of the full mark; measured using the recomended procedure on the engine. I know from reading other posts that this is too much.

Any ideas, thoughts, remarks? Anyone know of a competent resource in the Houston area? The boat seems to run perfectly otherwise. Thanks for any and all of your help!

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

How long does it run before shutting down. Does it act like it is running out of fuel or like you shut it off?

I actually timed it. 30 seconds, 3minutes, 8 minutes. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. It runs perfect except for the um... not running. I can't replicate the problem as it happes under any condition short of flipping or submerging the boat. Could the high oil level be causing it to stop running?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

+1
    I'd also like to say Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    Weber now has a tech center here in the states and are helping the Polaris guys that can't find the resources they need.
    Call Randy at Watcon as he has the tech number and location. I'm away this weekend or I'd look it up for you. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome,Does your grandmother want another grandson? Not real familier with the MSX,But I'd check the fuel pickup line in the tank.Just a thought, but maybe something getting sucked up and blocking.Alos check the fuel seperator. Might be a slug of water getting suck up.I'm sure more will chime in.

Thanks for the quick responses. Axegrider73, I forgot to completely answer your question. The engine shuts off as if you had pressed the stop button. There is no indication that it is starving of fuel. Also, is there any signifigance to the check engine light flashing ten times; as opposed to two, three, five, or seven times? My thoughts are that this is a computer problem as the engine operates normally when it is running. I'm able to acheive full boost, 7000+ RPM, 60-63 MPH, etc.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 74DVR View Post
    The engine shuts off as if you had pressed the stop button. There is no indication that it is starving of fuel... My thoughts are that this is a computer problem as the engine operates normally when it is running...
    Sounds like this is an electrical problem, perhaps a poor ground connection somewhere, or an intermittent contact in a switch or connector.
    I am not familiar with the MSX models, perhaps someone else can suggest what wiring items to focus your investigatation on.

My guess is that the flashing light is a response to a sudden loss or change of electrical contact or power. When you connect (or re-connect) the battery, does the same flashing sequence occur right when the battery power is first applied?

Does the check engine light flash every time the problem occurs?

You should try ph2ocrafts suggestion or maybe give Jay a call at Atlantic Powersports (his number is in the parts, service, and accessories sticky in the General Discussion section.)

I belive that ski has a shut off switch that kills the engine if the ski rolls over. Maybe it could be somthing simple like that or maybe a bad lanyard switch??? I would try all of the simple stuff first.

A OEM service manual would probably be a good investment.

Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by 74DVR View Post
    Also, is there any signifigance to the check engine light flashing ten times; as opposed to two, three, five, or seven times?
    Glad to see another MSX 150 rider here! The check engine light flashing is normal at each startup...the ECU is monitoring, and analyzing, all of the system parameters. Once everything is seen to be within normal tolerances, it shuts off....

I have the factory service manual that devotes a page to troubleshooting a ski that stalls, but restarts. I am not sure how to e-mail this page from this forum, but if you give me an e-mail address, I will try to send it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    ...I have the factory service manual that devotes a page to troubleshooting a ski that stalls, but restarts. I am not sure how to e-mail this page from this forum...
    Perhaps you could scan the page and post the .jpg image (scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button while Posting your reply).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information