Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New (thicker) wear ring

I'm a bit new into the sport and just did my first impeller/wear ring swap. Everything went fine with the information from the board (thanks to everyone!) but I had great difficulty getting the new wear ring in. It appears, again from information here, that BRP went to a new supplier of wear rings and they are slightly thicker making is much more difficult to install unless you own a press (or fork lift?!?).

So for now I flipped my wear ring around but I'm wondering if there is a supplier of the old style wear ring. Are the rings sold in the online store here the old (thinner) style?

I expect I could get the new one in, but I'm also confidend that getting it back out will be a much different ordeal than the experience I just had and I'd like to maintain my ability to take care of a bad wear ring and prop (now that I have a spare) myself so I don't end up ruining a weekend of riding in the future. So just wondering if anyone knows of a supplier of do-it-yourself wear rings that I might stock up on. And I'm really not interested in a stainless steel one. Ideas?

Did you do the freezer trick?

Yes, freezer trick worked great - 2005 RXT. But thats well documented here in the forums. The thicker wear ring is crap.

+1
    Did you do the frezer trick to install the new one? Freeze the wear ring only.

I had one of the new ones in the freezer overnight and still had to press it in.

Sconny- I had the same issue, the new wear ring is no where near going to fit without removing the prop. The prop simply won't fit inside the wear ring. The new OEM ring was 1/32-1/16 of inch thicker as compared to the lesser worn front section of the orginal one I was replacing.

I tried all combinations of freezing and heating wear ring vs housing.

Quote Originally Posted by SconnyRider View Post
    I'm a bit new into the sport and just did my first impeller/wear ring swap. Everything went fine with the information from the board (thanks to everyone!) but I had great difficulty getting the new wear ring in. It appears, again from information here, that BRP went to a new supplier of wear rings and they are slightly thicker making is much more difficult to install unless you own a press (or fork lift?!?).

So for now I flipped my wear ring around but I'm wondering if there is a supplier of the old style wear ring. Are the rings sold in the online store here the old (thinner) style?

I expect I could get the new one in, but I'm also confidend that getting it back out will be a much different ordeal than the experience I just had and I'd like to maintain my ability to take care of a bad wear ring and prop (now that I have a spare) myself so I don't end up ruining a weekend of riding in the future. So just wondering if anyone knows of a supplier of do-it-yourself wear rings that I might stock up on. And I'm really not interested in a stainless steel one. Ideas?

same here --mine went in but impeller wouldnt fit--then she didnt wanna come out

I'm having the same problem with the new rings....I want the old ones back damnit

+1
    Use a stanley knife and cut a shamfer around one end to start it then whack away with two planks of wood and a hammer. one plank under the pump other on top of wear ring and beat in

Like I said, I'm sure I could get one in, but from then on out its gonna be a mofo of a job to swap compared to the original ring. I'd like to avoid this situation. Anywhere to get the original wear rings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information