Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 70.3

+1

I have posted most of this in previus threads but figured I would put it all together in one post. Let me start by saying I'm not an: engineer, pwc tech, racer or engine builder. Just a weekend rider who likes to go fast.
    This is not the gospel, just what has worked for me. These same mods on another ski or a ski in a different climate may run faster or slower. You never know. These mods have pushed me over 70 consistantly. (in the heat) Compared to what others were running stock, mine was a little faster (67.5) so I sort of had a head start. One thing I have found that this ski loves: fresh air and more fresh air. One thing that this ski hates (even more than high temps) HIGH HUMIDITY......

Purchased parts:
    Riva ride plate-best 200 bucks you will spend on this ski.
    R-Rated intake with catch can fitting.
    R-Rated 2nd waterbox removal "U" pipe.
    R-Rated modified primary waterbox.
    Pump wedge.
    R-Rated bov block off plate.
    R-Rated valve cover block off plates. No performance gain but they look cool.
    Filter on relief valve. Again, no gain but it also looks and sounds cool.
    R-Rated billet exhaust tip.

"Free" mods:
    I would like to give thanks and credit to several members for all the free mods. I may not have used their tip just as they did but sometimes seeing what others do gets you to thinking and you come up with something that works in your situation.
    Harry,JW,Earthshaker, Skip, Rudy,Sherminator..... Thanks
    Now the mods:
    Ram air. An ongoing project but worth the effort.
    Washers under the rear seat base.
    Rear vent hoses and fittings removed.
    Front vent hoses cut down to about 5-6" in length.
    Front vent fittings: front part of lip removed.
    Access cover under the glove box: Holes drilled.
    ECU moved to the side. This moves it from in front (about 3"-4" away) of the air horn on the R-Rated intake.
    4 holes drilled in the front access cover w/flowrites installed.
    Remove the small access cover for the pisser that is on the front side. It will allow more air in the front.
    Rear seat latch bolt. Run it up as high as it will go. This will get the rear seat up higher and allow more fresh air in.
    I got rid of the casting flash on the stock intake grate and smoothed out the sharp edges.
    Checked and cleaned out the excess silicone in the pump housing. Mine was not that bad unlike other skis.
    The purchased parts helped a lot but so did all the free mods. I know it looks like a lot of small things but trust me, they all add up. A tenth of a mph here and there all add up. I have not yet sealed my ride plate and my ski only has 29 hrs on the clock. The more hours I put on it, the faster it seems to get. I have done a lot of fresh air mods that you offshore guys would not want to do. I only ride on lakes and rivers and have yet to have a water ingestion problem.
    I saved all the parts I removed and can put everthing back to being totally stock in a few hours.(for warranty purposes) I also have an extra: front access cover, glove box access cover, hood underpan and the hood piece that has to be cut when you do the ram air mod.

And finally, pull all the stock stickers off it and put a few pirate stickers on. I swear it'll give you a couple of tenths
    P.S.
    Hey Harry,
    Where in the hell is my " I broke 70" T shirt????????
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 09-08-2007 at 06:43 AM.

+1
    Why thanks for the props
    Congrats on breaking 70 I think I am a ride plate away or the fall weather

you know if Kawi engineers should of figured this out for you

I have had mine as high as 90, but I am scared the bearings may fail and the trailor is not as stable at that speed.

Hey, you mentioned a couple of things I had not thought of so thanks again

The Club

Beagleman,

I'm (or I should say my wife) is trying today to join the club. I see what you are saying about fresh air, and I'm in the middle of opening up the front hood as you mentioned.

I still can't get ahold of a Riva plate, so I'm trying to get everything I can out of the stock. Like you, I've spent a lot of time cleaning it up.

As temps finally start to come down we should start seeing good numbers.

On a side note, I changed oil last night and compared the stock dipstick against my modified one. The modded one showed full, while the stock one showed very low

Keep up the good work - and thanks for not holding back and sharing your mods. With reliable information and work - we can get the Ultra to run good speeds and keep them running.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    Why thanks for the props
    Congrats on breaking 70 I think I am a ride plate away or the fall weather

you know if Kawi engineers should of figured this out for you

I have had mine as high as 90, but I am scared the bearings may fail and the trailor is not as stable at that speed.

Hey, you mentioned a couple of things I had not thought of so thanks again
    JW,
    Don't forget the pirate stickers!!!!!
    But this trick only works on red 250's
    If you name your ski "Queen Anne's Revenge" (Blackbeards ship) It'll go faster and have a tendancy to want to head towards Ocracoke Island in the outer banks of North Carolina.
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 09-08-2007 at 08:00 AM.

+1
    mine is red!

Maybe me and Gatorcountry can compare notes today and find some speed.

+1
    This one sticker is worth .5 mph!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ride plate 010.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	37886  

+1
    Niiice, I wonder what those numbers will be in a couple months. I saw a guy at Berryessa putting ice in his hull a while back, never did find him afterwards to check his results.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Niiice, I wonder what those numbers will be in a couple months. I saw a guy at Berryessa putting ice in his hull a while back, never did find him afterwards to check his results.
    I'm wondering the same thing. I think I'll be lucky if I get another .5 mph from the cool, non humid fall weather. But I may be wrong. I know it will dig the cool air but low humidity will also come into play. This summer, the few breaks in the humidity have really made a diff in it's performance.

Hey beagleman with 4 of those pirate sticker and the MIA ride plate I'll probly be close to 75

Beagleman thanks for all the good info. do you have any pics in the forums for your ram air mods.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information