Unhappy Bypass oil injection or not???

Just picked up a 97 zxi 1100. Everythings good except needs pistons. All three melted down on the exhaust side. My assumption is they sucked in water with it and kept running it. Any way, the guy I got it from already has the motor out, so Iam putting in crankseals as long as its out but Debaiting weather or not to keep it oil injected or block it and pre mix. ? Want some other opinions. And do you have to do anything special besides a block off plate?

I run my skis on premix.

Besides blocking off the pump, you will need to place vacuum caps on the oil nipples on the carbs and secure them with zip ties. Then you will either need to plug the main oil feed line from the tank and keep some oil in there to keep the light coming on, or remove the oil sending unit and zip tie the float in the up position.

You may also need to adjust the carbs slightly to allow for the fuel that is displaced by the oil.

Can you post pictures of the top of you burnt pistons? From the sounds of things, I would say that the problem was fuel related, not water injestion. It would be a good idea to go through the carbs while you are rebuilding.

Good luck!

Rob

You should start a thread (or just add to this one) to document your progress (and don't forget pictures always help) and post any questions along the way. Along with being helpful to you, it would also benefit others who are attempting a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    I run my skis on premix.

Besides blocking off the pump, you will need to place vacuum caps on the oil nipples on the carbs and secure them with zip ties. Then you will either need to plug the main oil feed line from the tank and keep some oil in there to keep the light coming on, or remove the oil sending unit and zip tie the float in the up position.

You may also need to adjust the carbs slightly to allow for the fuel that is displaced by the oil.

Can you post pictures of the top of you burnt pistons? From the sounds of things, I would say that the problem was fuel related, not water injestion. It would be a good idea to go through the carbs while you are rebuilding.

Good luck!

Rob

You should start a thread (or just add to this one) to document your progress (and don't forget pictures always help) and post any questions along the way. Along with being helpful to you, it would also benefit others who are attempting a rebuild.

yep thats the way i would do it plus you dont have to worry about the engine not getting enough oil

What would be a good ratio to start out at?

I would go at least 32:1 after the rebuild for the break in period then mix 50:1.

Thread Information