Fuel line replacement on 780's

Was wondering if anyone knows appoximately how much fuel line I would need to replace the old on a pair of 97 780's I have? Am thinking about going through the carbs (simple cleaning) this winter and want to replace the fuel lines as I've read on here that is a "must" maintenance issue at the age these are getting. Can I use any 1/4" fuel line or does it need to be something specific? When I clean the carbs, what should I look for and possibly have to replace? How about the oil lines, should those be changed also? And last but not least, should anything be done to the oil and/or fuel pump? Thanks everyone and I appreciate reading all the tips here on the forum!

TMB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    Was wondering if anyone knows appoximately how much fuel line I would need to replace the old on a pair of 97 780's I have?
    Aprox 20 feet per boat is what everyone says.

Am thinking about going through the carbs (simple cleaning) this winter and want to replace the fuel lines as I've read on here that is a "must" maintenance issue at the age these are getting.
    Yeppers

Can I use any 1/4" fuel line or does it need to be something specific?
    Opinions swing wildly on this one.
    Good marine grade
    Taragon or better if using clear or colored line. Do NOT use the cheap garbage as you WILL pay for it later.

When I clean the carbs, what should I look for and possibly have to replace?
    A cleaning and needle/seat replacement should be good. Be sure to check pop off.

How about the oil lines, should those be changed also?
    I change mine, the last thing you want is an oil delivery failure. It's very cheap insurance.

And last but not least, should anything be done to the oil and/or fuel pump? Thanks everyone and I appreciate reading all the tips here on the forum!
    I rebuild the fuel pump (new diaghram) and replace the oil pump every 5 years. I run each boat roughly 130 hours per year.

TMB
    Be sure to bleed the oil lines after replacement and maybe add a little oil to the fuel for the first tank just to be safe.

+1
    Sounds like a good time to convert to premix

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I agree with Ph20 100%. Length of hose is roughly 16 ft per ski, but it never hurts to get a little bit extra. I personally think you should ONLY run reinforced fuel hose before the fuel pump due to vacuum applied to it. After the pump you can run clear hose to aid in visual of fuel flowing.

Thanks for the awesome advice everyone!

Thread Information