Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: impeller choice

impeller choice

I have a 1996 slt 780 that is all stock except a R&D grate I'm looking to replace the impeller as it is a little chewed up. I ride mostly in small chop but see smooth water every so often. My current max rpms are 6300-6400 What is a good choice that won't break the bank?

+1
    Why not send the impellor to Impros and have him repair and massage it a little but. Less money more performance. You just need to let him know if you want more top speed or acceleration or a combination of both.

buy another stock one and have one of members mod it

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What does better mean to you? Better accel or more top speed?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    What does better mean to you? Better accel or more top speed?
    Well if I'm turning 6400 rpm can't I go a little lower pitch for more accel. and get the rpms up to the 6700 limiter and have about the same top speed ?

Also, How do you get more accel. and top speed at the same time besides the way I said ? Thanks for all the help.

+1
    It's usually a trade off, one or the other. Very hard to get accel AND more speed. I've never had my impellers reworked by someone like PH20 suggested. Maybe Impros or someone of the like can do it. I don't know. But it sounds like you're looking for an accel gain. Raising RPM isn't always the best thing to do since your engine runs most efficient around 6100-6200 RPM in stock form. I'd go with a Skat Trak 13/18 swirl for better accel over stock and keep your RPM close to where it is now. Also look into a pump wedge if you have the short pump for more top speed and nose lift on take off. Kinda cheap to come by (Gorilla was selling a couple) and will lift that bigger SLT hull out of the water a bit more. Just my thoughts.

+1
    I own a 96 SLT 780 and the nujet 5.0 holeshots the skat everytime. My friend has the same 96 SLT 780 with a skat. The nujet has something on top too more than the skat. Different boats react different for props. I just know in the case of the SLT 780 the Nujet is hands down the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Plrs X45 View Post
    I own a 96 SLT 780 and the nujet 5.0 holeshots the skat everytime. My friend has the same 96 SLT 780 with a skat. The nujet has something on top too more than the skat. Different boats react different for props. I just know in the case of the SLT 780 the Nujet is hands down the winner.
    Are you talking about the nujet destroyer? If so how much do they cost and where can I get one ? It sounds like it may be what I'm looking for. Anyone else have any experience with them.

Also forgot I have carbon tech reeds if it matters.

+1
    Reeds won't matter that much, small HP gain. Yes, the Nu Jet Destroyer 5.0. I think they're around $200 new from most retailers. Shop around for prices, or maybe post a wanted to buy if someone has one to sell used? That's the first time I'd ever heard of a Nu Jet beating a swirl off the line, but I've never run a Nu Jet before.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Reeds won't matter that much, small HP gain. Yes, the Nu Jet Destroyer 5.0. I think they're around $200 new from most retailers. Shop around for prices, or maybe post a wanted to buy if someone has one to sell used? That's the first time I'd ever heard of a Nu Jet beating a swirl off the line, but I've never run a Nu Jet before.
    And that also proves my point too. On my X45 I had both a Skat and a Nujet 7.0. In this case the Skat was better out of the hole (much better) and the Nujet was better on the top (about 1.5mph total gain). It's definately the boat and boat setup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information