Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil change gone bad....

Ok, to say I am mechanically challenged would be like saying Minnie Pearl was a little bit country...Anyway....just before going out one day I decided to change my oil...how hard can it be???

I had the pump, and some Mobile 1. I warmed up the Green Hornet, and pumped out about a gallon of oil. Then put in the Mobile 1.

I have read synthetic oil is not real tasty for this motor, further...I obviouly did not get all the old oil out. So what I really have is 3/4 Mobile 1, and 1/4 of who knows what oil, and I did not know the Green Hornet had an oil filter, so where ever it is, it is still original equipment.

So my question? Should I take the thing in to the dealer, who by the way charges more then my dentist on a per hour basis, and have a full oil change? Or should I just follow the instructions for getting all the oil out (empty, run at 4k rpm, empty, repeat...) find the filter change it, and re-fill with regular 40 wt oil??

Then I was thinking about changing the ceramic washers in the sc...just kidding, I looked at the instructions, and just started laughing....Obviously that project is way beyond my skill set...

Ok, any thoughts on the oil change would be helpful...

+1
    Oil filter is on the back right of the engine near the throttle body. You need a internal torx bit I believe, but can't remember for sure. Then take a screw driver and pry the cap off (without damaging the o-ring). Change the filter and put the cap back on, tighten the bolt and that's it.

I doubt you messed anything up. Here's a link on changing the oil:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

Synthetic is not rec as it will cause the S/C to slip, from what I've read. However, there are certain types of synthetic designed for wet clutch systems. Amsoil sells one that a lot of people here on the forum use with no problems.

Good luck & Welcome to the forum.

i was a newbie my first time changing my oil and it was not all that hard. let me know if i can be of any assistance

I don't recomend you use a screw driver to pry the oil filter cap off. I did mine a few weeks ago and being very carful, still managed to slit the top O ring on the cap.

I used a philips screw driver with a 90deg bend at the tip (don't know how I ever came to own it). After taking out the bolt I put the driver into the hole and just gave it a few quick pulls, came right off.

Best regards,

Dan

[quote=Green Hornet ILM NC;401634]Or should I just follow the instructions for getting all the oil out (empty, run at 4k rpm, empty, repeat...) ................quote]

Whoa, whoa!! Run at 4k?, without oil?,,,,,,,,,,, repeat?

I would not do that!!

Try ,,,,,,,,,, empty,,,,,,,,,pull throttle WFO then crank engine( Engine is not running cause you have the throttle pulled, thus disabling the engine from starting),,,,,, suck oil out,,,,,,,,,,Pull throttle WFO then crank engine,,,,,,,,, suck oil out......repeat several times

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    What Jeff C said: Do not let the engine start after you have sucked out the oil. As a matter of fact, if you don't do the crank, suck out more, crank, suck out more thing, but instead just suck out as much as you can, it just leaves some of the old oil in there. It's no big deal if you change your oil often enough....

But, having the engine start and hit the rev limiter with no oil, now that would be a problem.

Anyway, the teeny bit of synthetic that would be left over would be negligible. I would just suck out what you put in, and then refill with BRP oil, etc. If you are not comfortable with the oil filter, get one of your buds to help you with that part. It's not hard, but you need to use some finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    What Jeff C said: Do not let the engine start after you have sucked out the oil. As a matter of fact, if you don't do the crank, suck out more, crank, suck out more thing, but instead just suck out as much as you can, it just leaves some of the old oil in there. It's no big deal if you change your oil often enough....

But, having the engine start and hit the rev limiter with no oil, now that would be a problem.

Anyway, the teeny bit of synthetic that would be left over would be negligible. I would just suck out what you put in, and then refill with BRP oil, etc. If you are not comfortable with the oil filter, get one of your buds to help you with that part. It's not hard, but you need to use some finesse.
    Agreed. Running an engine even for a short period with no oil is BAD.

The oil does more than lubricate, it's also a main component of the cooling system.

The most important part of an oil change is the filter. You can actually run oil for a long time as long as you change the filter often.

The government actually spends money on oil analysis (where they test the oil at a lab). This allows you to save money on costly oil changes and also allows you to see things like metal (excess wear), coolant, etc in the oil which can help you to predict/prevent catastrophic break downs.

Dont judge me...
    ok, well maybe you can find someone on here that will help you your first time. if you cant figure it out.

+1
    G-Hornet, I'm roughly 2 hours north east of you but will be glad to offer my assistance if needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information