Extended rideplate and wedge questions with a short pump

At the moment with my 165 pounds the ski runs fairly stable, although doesn't seem to really get up out of the water. Gets up on a plane quick and gps's at 50mph at 6400, but just looks like 3/4 of the boat is still on the water judging by where the water is kicked out up front. Gets up to 6k rpm real quick, then takes a while to ease up to 6400, and moving my weight to the back of the seat seems to help it kick up to that max rpm. So logically it seems like getting more frontal area out of the water would help.

Riding two up is a nightmare, fuggedaboutit. Porpoises horribly. I realize that's just something to expect with a two seater I suppose, so some is acceptable. Not too concerned anyways as I don't like passengers on my bikes or ski.

I actually like the handling of the SL hull right now if you can believe that. It's fun sliding around and it's general forgiveness to mistakes. Should I be thinking about a 4 degree wedge to help lift out of the water at speed, or will this induce porpoising? Here's some things I'm considering and I'm curious on the effects I may get. Keep in mind this is without an extended pump.

1. Longer SLX rideplate- maybe I'll keep those handling characteristics I like while nudging the front up? Maybe it'll have the opposite effect, educate me.

2. O/P rideplate
    3. 4 degree wedge

Everything I read has to do with the extended pump, so any opinions on the behavior with a short pump?

+1
    Try the wedge first its cheap and easy. Do you have trim?

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I ran the Twist (MSD) extended ride plate and a 6 degree wedge on my SL with the short pump for a few years. I'd grab a SLX ride plate and the SLX 4 degree wedge. You can find them pretty cheap. The wedge gives you the lift and the plate stops some of the bouncing.

Nope, no trim at all. This ski started life as a '94 sl650. Only luxury this thing had was the round analog fuel guage next to the start button. Good suggestions so far, food for thought. Thanks,

Dennis

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Hot Seat recommends a 2 or 3 wedge for the smaller boats. Supposed to help with quicker accel and less porpoising. Polaris uses a 4 in all there long pumps, including some of the 780's. I think most that use them do have sponsons to help with ride characteristics. As for the ride plate, the longer it is, the more it plants the nose down. And an OP will totally help handling, but may cost a little on Top Speed. Try them both or 1 at a time and let us know what you find.

Any ideas where to get wedges at good prices? and do you need to change the drive shaft with a wedge?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    PM Gorilla or John Zigler. He (Gorilla) was seeling a couple. And the driveshaft doesn't change.

Thread Information