Moderated

flooded with salt water :(

OK i have officially done the unthinkable, i left my bung plugs out and flooded my ski.

I happened next to the boat ramp ( luckily) so i got it out onto the trailer, drained her out (it was really full) then pulled the plugs and blew the water out until i could smell fuel coming through.

Once i had that done i kept trying to get her going again by pulling the plugs out and drying them after every 4th crank or so, after about 20 minutes of cranking it she finally started up and then i ran her backed into the water for about 5 minutes until i was sure it would not die on me.

I then put her back in the water and took her for a run for about 15 minutres maybe 20 minutes but she did not run very well at WOT, she felt a bit lacking. I could not tell how fast it was going as the speedo was registering 0 during this panic run to dry her out. I dont know whats killed the speedo but my guess is the water did ( laugh away)

when i put it back on the trailer a second time i flushed her out with a hose for 5 minutes as i was riding in salt water.

Now i am home i tried to start her again and it started fine, i then pulled the plugs out again and sprayed them with wd40 and poured a little oil in each cylinder, put the plugs back in and fired her up again, it was a bit harder to start this time, took 3 cranks or so but then she came good and started..i couldnt run her long as it smoked the hell out of the car park....

do i need to take her to a mechanic tomorrow or will what i have what i have done be enough to stop any damage????

I was very lucky a guy at the ramp knew his two strokes and told me what to do, thats why i did the above on the spot & took it for a ride straight away but it was nearly dark so I couldnt ride for long.

+1
    izz0 where in sydney do you ride I am in Miranda

Best thing to do is get the ski fired up and get the water out like you did and ride like you stole it.

When you say its not running right have you did a compression test yet very important......in my experience with getting salt water in I ve always nipped up a cylinder hope you have better luck than I do.
    If all cylinders come back fine 125psi average get back out and ride the ski little extra oil might help....

Mike

Moderated
    i will comp test it now and see what it says.

it just didnt run like it normally does at WOT , the revs looked right but it didnt pull as hard as normal, it was sputtering a bit but i thought that to be normal considering how much water it had in it.

+1

Smile

hi guys ,im at gwandalan(lake macquaire),we should hook up for a ride

Moderated
    this is really strange, i just tested 2 of the 3 cylinders and they came out at 150psi, normally its 125 psi and stranger still the ski started up which i was under the impression it should not do with a plug out...is that correct?

I will test all 3 in the morning when it is cold, my girlfreind did not appriciate the fright she got them when it reved out haha

any ideas?

+1
    Check all 3 cylinders no idea why your getting 150psi if all test well get a new set of plugs and go for a ride and yes it will start with 2 cylinders.

Make sure the leads are off all cylinders and hold it WOT throttle when your checking each cylinder.

Mike

+1
    if you have put oil down the spark plug hole,this will help to seal the rings and give a higher reading,and i'm preety shore if you hold down both red and green ,start/stop buttons this will kill spark as tray spark firing everwhere can kill cdi unit

Moderated

kill spark as tray spark?

what do you mean by that?

i did put a fair bit of oil in so i guess that may explain the higher preasure reading.

billie : you are quite right we should all hookup for a ride somewhere
    Last edited by izz0; 09-09-2007 at 07:33 AM.

+1

stray spark

when you pull the leads off and crank engine the leads will spark when the spark goes to ground/earth(sparks on head or engine) it can kill cdi unit

+1

Unhappy

I did that this wknd... I left my plug wire on top of my engine and cranked it.. I hope i did not mess anything up....Its a 2006 GP1300R..

Thread Information