Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pump question: prop/wear ring

After a hard day of riding, I see the solas nose cone came off and slid up the drive shaft, so I removed the pump to fix it and noticed that the pump feels tighter. How much drag is on the stock alum pump? I know it won`t free-wheel like oil bath bearings. it spins smoothly, but feels like it tightened up.
    and after several hours since new wear ring and prop install, the prop edges still slightly scrape the wear ring, you can hear it when turning the prop with your finger, shouldn`t this have already cut itself in, or is this normal?...PR...

Bring it over to Surf City im sure they will take care of you!

+1
    I think he is looking to take care of it himself...I would be, and more important, is this normal? I would tend to think it would have worn in by now as well. And, if the bearing is worn out of tolerance (even new) should it not be a little looser than PR is describing? Neither of mine "free-wheel" and the 1 still having the plastic wear ring and 40 hours is good and worn in. Have not checked the fresh prop/stainless set-up w/ 5 hours yet but may soon. The impeller cone.....I drilled the 2 small holes in the flat surface of the cone that the tool contacts. The cone still pulled its threads and walked up the shaft....I no longer install the cones and have 2 green solas cones in the plastic looking pretty on my box......I think Steve has some on his desk.......

hey PR, everytime i pull my pump my solas cone is up on the shaft. the last 2 times i even used "red" loctite on threads. i just recently repitched my prop and it had slid up the shaft again...... some guys say run it without the cone but i run in salt and others have said not to. when i repitched the prop i had to spend a little time filing the outer edge of the prop to get it to slide into the wear ring . it spins freely now with a tight tolerance between the prop and wear ring................rich
    Last edited by rwells173; 09-09-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: hungover

9sec and rwells:,
    since I have the prop one for a few weekends, the cone hasn`t come off even with decent wot runs in flat waters. But yesterday we had hellacious waters and the ski was all over the place, reason I pulled the pump was the nose cone came off and was up the shaft.
    now check this out: when I first pulled pump off, (read thread above) and now that is sat overnite, I go to look at it and now the prop doesn`t rub, the rotating feels smooth you can hear assy turn. I can spin prop the same as before without prop making contact with wear ring, is this pump possessed , what changed, was assy still warm when I took the pump off 3 hours after riding? did the prop flex and return to whatever? this is weird man...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    9sec and rwells:,
    since I have the prop one for a few weekends, the cone hasn`t come off even with decent wot runs in flat waters. But yesterday we had hellacious waters and the ski was all over the place, reason I pulled the pump was the nose cone came off and was up the shaft.
    now check this out: when I first pulled pump off, (read thread above) and now that is sat overnite, I go to look at it and now the prop doesn`t rub, the rotating feels smooth you can hear assy turn. I can spin prop the same as before without prop making contact with wear ring, is this pump possessed , what changed, was assy still warm when I took the pump off 3 hours after riding? did the prop flex and return to whatever? this is weird man...PR...
    PR, that is very strange...........

stranger even yet: the pump is off and sitting on the ski for the past 2 days, and it spins smooth and better/faster than when I first removed it and no prop rub ... no freakin way it expanded that much when warm, I mean it`s operates in cold water...PR...

hey PR, maybe the pump fairy came and fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by rwells173 View Post
    hey PR, maybe the pump fairy came and fixed it
    , I`m tellin ya, it`s freakin weird and it`s hot as balls in the garage, you can now spin prop fast enough to catch your finger if you don`t pull it out of the way quick enough, WTF...PR...

hey PR, where r u in new jersey? i am right outside of ocean city. ..rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information