Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S3 Screams But Cavitates ?

First huge thanks to jerry for the s3 sc and james for the xs man she was pulling so hard big smiles and with the flo rites you can really hear the sc screaming ...excellant
    first ride out today with all parts on
    problem i got know is high temp alarm comes on noticed L temp reading 73 i fitted the riva thermo as well does any one have any ideas what this could be the gracco is clear
    also shes cavitating bad at first pull away ive fitted ss ring and new 15/20 ive pulled them once to check,took out the wedge . its much better than before but now you can feel it shake iam thinking pump bearing but never had one go , any thoughts
    rpms are bang on 8100 with out the box 15/20
    its had new spring washers and bearings in the sc so iam pretty sure its the pump bearing or poss carbon ring but any suggestions are welcome

kinked hose

check to make sure you dont have a kinked hose on the i/c lines.

also check to make sure the j pipe to waterbox coupler is not melted or the lower clamp is not pinching the pisser holes of the j pipe.

check to make sure your nose cone (if you have one) has not slipped forward.

make sure the seal between the pump and pump shoe is there and not damaged.

yeah i checked pump seal that was good not caught/kinked any where and hoses are all good .i remeber reading somewhere about a sensor on the exhaust mod could this be the overheating problem?

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    If you just installed the Riva thermostat you may have an air pocket in the cooling system. Take the ski out and idle around with the seat off and coolant resevoir cap off. After the engine comes up to temp and the thermostat opens carefully squeeze the main coolant hose coming off the head. Look for any bubbles coming up into the resevoir. If you see some then keep squeezing the hose periodically until the bubbles stop appearing. This can be done on the hose but is hard to do without overheating the carbon seal.

+1
    Something to check, if you haven't already.

Check the wire going to the temp sensor on the waterbox. More than once, it's stretched out, and causes a high temp alarm. You can get an extension wire if it's too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    If you just installed the Riva thermostat you may have an air pocket in the cooling system. Take the ski out and idle around with the seat off and coolant resevoir cap off. After the engine comes up to temp and the thermostat opens carefully squeeze the main coolant hose coming off the head. Look for any bubbles coming up into the resevoir. If you see some then keep squeezing the hose periodically until the bubbles stop appearing. This can be done on the hose but is hard to do without overheating the carbon seal.

ill give that ago.cheers
    as to the cavitating you can really feel something shaken side to side ,but theres no humming like a bearing normally gets when its gone

I agree, try to burp the system of all air pockets.

ok the temp sensor wire is good ,ic pipes are good,iam gonna check for air locks tomorrow when i take out did notice the exhaust outlet had moved forward and got wedged between ic and vts witch may be the cause of the overheating,
    pump seal is good ,cone is on solid,did notice some little movement in the shaft in engine but iam sure that was there before and is just the gap between impeller and wear ring ,still havent a clue what could be causing the cavitaion as i said u can really feel it shake side to side just for that first couple of secs on pull away.
    diggs as for the pisser holes in j pipe not sure what u mean here i took a pic can someone edit or point me in the right direction did notice a T joint under the J pipe?

bit of a naff pic ,i took clamp and top pipe of

+1
    rior what kind of top end were you able to get w/ that set up?

havent been on a flat yet but she steamed to 73 in slight chop hopeing to get 77 with the R&D grate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information