Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Customized our Wake Edition Trailer

We were really disappointed with the quality of our Zieman trailer. The paint finish was so thin and weak that it was rusting all over the garage floor after only the second time we used it. So rather than spend $2500 for a different higher quality trailer I decided to spend a couple bucks and some sweat modding it myself.

I stripped the trailer of everything, cut off the storage box and rotated it 180 degrees and recessed it into the frame to lower it and make it easier to access. This also allowed me to add racks for 4 gas cans on the back side of the box and two up front, for a total of 30 gallons of spare fuel. I welded expanded wire mess under the front half of the trailer to give us something to walk on while lauching the skis. After all this was done, I had it sand blasted and a two-layer powder coat done RAAB in Van Nuys CA

I ordered replacement LED lights, which only worked out to about $100 for the set of three. Rewired the entire trailer. Including the powdercoating, sandblasting, LED lights and materials I spent about $800 and we spent $1600 on the trailer. In hindsight we should have bought a better quality trailer to begin with.

Although it's not perfect, there is still some minor spot rust in places where the powder coat couldn't get to. It's 95% better.

Here are some pictures...let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04115.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	869.3 KB 
ID:	38028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04116.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	896.2 KB 
ID:	38029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04118.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	835.0 KB 
ID:	38030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04120.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	38031  
    Last edited by Fly'n Dutchman; 09-09-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Wow!! Very nice job!!

I have this same trailer and plan to do this project this winter. Got the trailer for free. Just curious how much the powder coat costs. I plan to sand blast it myself but have someone else powder coat it.

Quote Originally Posted by RustySeaRustyDoo View Post
    I have this same trailer and plan to do this project this winter. Got the trailer for free. Just curious how much the powder coat costs. I plan to sand blast it myself but have someone else powder coat it.

I paid $600 for sandblast and two coats of powder coat from one of those places the builds lumber racks for truck. I had to bring the trailer stripped to them with only wheels on it.

Powder coat doesn't run into the cracks and tight spots as well as paint does, you could look into a heavy duty marine paint, but they quoted me about $1600 for that including the sand blasting and the were willing to warranty that work against rust.

It looks like you tie your skis down over the glove box. Is that just for extra security?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RustySeaRustyDoo View Post
    Have you thought about having it galvanized? Locally, i found someone who does it and he charges .35 cents per pound. It does not look as good as paint, but should last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    It looks like you tie your skis down over the glove box. Is that just for extra security?
    Just in case the covers come loose on the front, it'll keep them from coming completely off the skis. The range rover doesn't have that much power, but it tows really nice becasue the air suspension adjust as soon as you attach the trailer lights, so you can cruise down the fwy 75mph.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Have you thought about having it galvanized? Locally, i found someone who does it and he charges .35 cents per pound. It does not look as good as paint, but should last longer.

I thought about it, but the GF insists the trailer match her Land Rover...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Dutchman View Post
    I thought about it, but the GF insists the trailer match her Land Rover...

No matter what, that's a good looking trailer. Just clean it well and keep in a garage and it should still last a good while.

Fortunatly for me, my wife stays out of those type decisions, that's about the only ones she stays out of, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post

No matter what, that's a good looking trailer. Just clean it well and keep in a garage and it should still last a good while.

Fortunatly for me, my wife stays out of those type decisions, that's about the only ones she stays out of, but still.

Yeah...unfortunately she's got the SUV and I've got the sports cars, so when it came to picking out trailer colors, I was over ruled...LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information