Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

water box and catch can

i hear people talking about waterboxes and catch cans, what are they and what do they do?
    and i have been asking around what part of the reverse bucket do you trim on the bucket mod but i cant find where i posted the ?'s and when i do find them no one answers

+1
    No problem. We all have questions.

The "waterbox" is the muffler on the ski.

The "catch can" is an aftermarket add-on that hooks to the crank case and replaces the hose from the crankcase to the air intake.

heres another: whats the crank case

+1
    The cavity inside the engine block and heads where the crank is and where the valve springs are specifically. There are more areas, but you get the idea..

ok thanks for the info, anything on the bucket mod though?
    im eager to learn

I think what he is asking is what do they do ? And why is everyone talking about them. why change them ?

Waterbox = small increase in performance, aawesome exhaust sound, and Shorter waterbox allows you to remove supercharger for maintenance without having to remove the J pipe and waterbox out of the way.

Catch can = Allows you to remove the hose going from the crankcase(motor) to the intake. The catch can traps oil and gases that other wise we be going back into the intake. (causing your intake,valves,throttle body,etc... to get filled over time with this grudge.) This is one of those mods that are just better for the motor because it frees up power from the motor that the original setup is taking away. It is something that any ski could gain from it but i wouldnt bother with it unless your ski is modified to atleast a SII (Stage II).

This is a very similar system that alot of cars run. The reason the hose is going from the crankcase back into the intake is because the crankcase needs to relieve all the pressure that is being built up in the motor, And what a a better way than to have the suction of the intake suck all these hot gases out(constantly recirculating) But like I mentioned earlier, it also sucks in oils that are harmful and are a serious factor for detonation. And detonation blows motors !! Thats where the catch can comes in and hence the name "Catch Can" collects all these oily gases in the can so that you can clean it out from time to time... I hope this helps you understand a little better.

wow! thanks alot guys.
    but anything on that bucket mod? i still dont know what it is

Quote Originally Posted by bron1c View Post
    wow! thanks alot guys.
    but anything on that bucket mod? i still dont know what it is
    The reverse bucket is the cover that slips over the pump nozzle and directs the thrust downward (and slightly forward).

That's what allows you to have a reverse.

When you add a wedge to the pump/venturi, you permanently trim the pump nozzle up slightly. The flow can then (in some cases) touch the back part of the reverse bucket even when it's in it's fullest up position.

So, some guys take a dremel or a sawzall and remove the trailing portion of the bucket so the water flow exits freely and doesn't try to rip the bucket off.

thanks alot guys i appreciate it!

Basically what the reverse bucket mod is, you cut or grind down the part of the reverse bucket that sits in the way of the nozzle so that nothing is in the way or obstucts the path of the water shooting out of the nozzle.

There are several threads on this , you might not find the pics right away at the top of the threads, you have to do a little searching threw all the different post. The more you read and search the more sense all these things are going to make.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information