Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

SC install questions

I pulled my stock supercharger and will be installing my Les A kit SC. What grease do you use on the SC housing near the O rings?

Second, what do most of you do to try to get the old Loctite out of the threads in the engine? I clean up the bolts (gently) with a wire wheel, but wish I could somehow clean the threads in the motor a bit before re-install, without resorting to a tap/thread cleaner (altho ... hmm, maybe I need to get a set of the softer ones just for thread cleaning ...). Input? Oh, and do you use Loctite blue on the three SC bolts when re-installing?
    Torque settings?

+1
    i just use engine oil to lube up the O rings.

i also just put the bolts back in without chasing the threads with a tap. no worries!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    after i pull bolts and nuts off the ski that have loctite on them... i hit them with brake parts cleaner in an aeresol can with the little straw attachment. picked that one up from Rob at Formula One .... quick shot of brake parts cleaner (even carb cleaner works good) and all the loctite blasts off the bolts and out of threads and it's not liquidy... air dries in seconds.

+1
    Got it, thanks for the tips!!

+1
    Don't get it on any paint...

OOOPPPSSSS!!!!!!!

Let me know how the A kit works out...

the best way to clean old loctite out of the threads is to take a bolt the same size and grind a flat spot down one side. Run it all the way down in the hole that needs cleaning, remove bolt then blow out with compressed air. This will clean most of the leftovers out without changing the clearance on the threads. If you leave old loctite in the hole the new loctite will only "lock" to a fraction of the strength that it is capable of.

It calls for antisieze where the body goes into housing I guess any lubricant will work ok.I use the wire brush on my bench grinder to clean up threads and use nothing on the treads that hold the housing together and use blue loctite on the threads that hold the housing to engine.Use a thin coating of loctite 5910 between the housing halves.Unfortunatly the only way I have found it was in a large tube that would do about 1000,and it does not keep very well after opening.

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    the best way to clean old loctite out of the threads is to take a bolt the same size and grind a flat spot down one side. Run it all the way down in the hole that needs cleaning, remove bolt then blow out with compressed air. This will clean most of the leftovers out without changing the clearance on the threads. If you leave old loctite in the hole the new loctite will only "lock" to a fraction of the strength that it is capable of.
    You got some pretty darn good tech tips there GTXX!
    what do you do for a living?...PR...

Vern: I just use water proof grease on the SC snout...
    Amsoil synth to be exact!...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    You got some pretty darn good tech tips there GTXX!
    what do you do for a living?...PR...

Vern: I just use water proof grease on the SC snout...
    Amsoil synth to be exact!...
    I design roof and floor systems (trusses) for residential and light commercial. Been doing this kinda stuff since I was a kid (I'm 45). I always made a lot of one off pieces for my hotrods in the past and have a couple of simple parts in the works that I'm gonna make a few extra of to see if others might have a need for too.

we are not so different, I`m a Union Glazier, which requires me to also Fabricate and layout the products we install, plus my years at turning wrench...PR...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information