SeaDoocer

Correct way to peal decals?

I have my two Ultras that I'm putting back together and was wondering if anyone knows if your supposed to peel off the white wax paper on the decal first or is it kept on for the purpose of making it rigid when placing it so that there are no air bubbles? (long question I know ) Would appreciate any input..Thanks I'll send pics when finsished..but I don't know, at the rate I'm going that may be next year! lol....them dang rivets! Not to mention the thousands of nuts and washers and plastic tyes!

Wayne

+1
    yes. remove the backing so its sticky.
    place the sticker then leave the top cover over vinyl and RUB the sticker down hard
    then peal the top off and the sticker should be sold to the ski.
    see my
    ive got first 08 thread. i just installed some new large decals on mine.

+1
    Wayne.
    Get a spray bottle. Put in a 50/50 mix of filtered clean water, and dishwashing soap.

Wet down the surface.
    Wet down the back of the decal.
    Use something flexible and soft to GENTLY squeeze out all the air bubbles. Use the mixture on the outside of the label to keep it wet while you are squeegee it as well.

SeaDoocer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Wayne.
    Get a spray bottle. Put in a 50/50 mix of filtered clean water, and dishwashing soap.

Wet down the surface.
    Wet down the back of the decal.
    Use something flexible and soft to GENTLY squeeze out all the air bubbles. Use the mixture on the outside of the label to keep it wet while you are squeegee it as well.
    Mark,
    Thanks...I'm not quite sure if I understand. Wet down the surface before putting the sticky side of the decal down? I thought it was supposed to
    be dry?! Is this what you mean?

Wayne

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaDoocer View Post
    Wet down the surface before putting the sticky side of the decal down? I thought it was supposed to
    be dry?!
    Yes, wet the "sticky" side as well as the top. The solution is pressed out with the air.

SeaDoocer
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Yes, wet the "sticky" side as well as the top. The solution is pressed out with the air.
    Thanks,
    That's what I thought. I had put one on but it's hard to squeeze the air out withuot the slippery solution..I just realized that it would be a big help. Thanks for jumping in there and answering that..

Wayne

+1
    Wayne,
    you can't press all the water out. It actually evaporates after a day or so. But, what it allows is the sticker to be moved around enough to press the bubbles out safely.

You CAN do it dry, but I'd bet you'll actually ENJOY putting them on wet. Do not ride the ski for at least 24 hours afterwards, in a warm environment and at least 48 hours or more up north.

Get it really, really wet under the decals...especially the big ones. Squeegy slow and GENTLE. Too much pressure will crease and/or rip the sticker. Keep your squeegy wet with solution, so that it won't "scratch" the sticker.

Start with some small ones, and get the hang of it. You can do super large ones after that. Early morning is the best time, since it's cool.

If you have corners to deal with, just keep coming back with a wet squegee and maybe a cool/warm hair dryer to "teach" the sticker that there is a curve there.

SeaDoocer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Wayne,
    you can't press all the water out. It actually evaporates after a day or so. But, what it allows is the sticker to be moved around enough to press the bubbles out safely.

You CAN do it dry, but I'd bet you'll actually ENJOY putting them on wet. Do not ride the ski for at least 24 hours afterwards, in a warm environment and at least 48 hours or more up north.

Get it really, really wet under the decals...especially the big ones. Squeegy slow and GENTLE. Too much pressure will crease and/or rip the sticker. Keep your squeegy wet with solution, so that it won't "scratch" the sticker.

Start with some small ones, and get the hang of it. You can do super large ones after that. Early morning is the best time, since it's cool.

If you have corners to deal with, just keep coming back with a wet squegee and maybe a cool/warm hair dryer to "teach" the sticker that there is a curve there.
    Gotcha! Thanks

Thread Information