Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Thinking of buying this 2001 Genesis - Opinions or comments?

I am thinking about buying this 2001 Genesis, but it is located about four hours round trip from me to go see it, so I am evaluating it as best I can before I drive out there.

The owner just took the photos earlier today, and it was raining around here, so they are not the best.

The story is that he bought it this spring with a water damaged engine. I do not have any info regarding the previous owners.

This guy removed the engine, sent it off for rebuild (not SBT - I am finding out where), then re-installed it himself. He then had a local shop set up the engine (carb tuning, I presume).

He says boat has about 50 hours, the rebuilt engine about 10 hours. No compression numbers available, until I check that myself.

From the photos, does anything look out of place, or poorly put together? I have never had my head under the lid of an unmolested Genesis, so I am not sure what it "should" look like.
    When viewing the pictures, click on the magnifying glass icon to zoom in further.

Is there an easy way to tell if it has been flooded or sunk?

What should I be focussing on when I go look at the boat?

Thanks, Keith

I would want to know how water got into the other engine. You should take the electrical box appart to see if there is any water/corrosion in there from water being inside.

Another concern would be the bildge pump not working. If the voltage regulator goes bad the bildge pump will run all of the time (even with the engine turned off.) I have seen cases where the bildge will burn up due to a bad regulator causing it to run constantly. Just some thing to check out.

You will also want to take a look at the plugs and do a compression test.

Does he have any receipts for the work that has been done? If it had water in the engine, I would want to see that the crank had been rebuilt.

As far as previous owners, the title will list the previous owners name and address, so you could look them up and give them a call.

Just my two pennies worth.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    ...As far as previous owners, the title will list the previous owners name and address, so you could look them up and give them a call.
    Axgrider - much appreciated input!
    The boat was imported from Florida into Canada, so I am not sure whether I will have access to the previous owner info. The boat is now registered in Ontario. Current owner says his father-in-law brought it back from Florida this spring, and he doesn't have any further history info.

I get the feeling the boat was purchased at auction, or some other form of intermediary.

I will certainly look closely at the electrical side of things, and will review the engine rebuild receipt carefully. If I can, I will also call the rebuilder.

The Genesis electric box looks different from those I am familiar with in the SL models. Does it open up easily, just a few screws, or is there something particular I should know?

Since it was, presumably, a salt water boat, what should I look at to get an idea regarding potential internal corrosion issues?
    Are there spots that salt damage evidence first shows itself?

The Hull Identification Number is visible in one of the photos. Is there a place I can use that to get some history on the boat, or ownership?

Any and all help is appreciated. I am new to the PWC scene, and learning as fast as I can!

+1
    How much?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Hull Identification Number is visible in one of the photos. Is there a place I can use that to get some history on the boat, or ownership?
    http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

If the bilge pump isnt working, the pump is probably bad, along with the LR505 voltage regulator...you're looking at about $165 to fix that, so keep that in mind. I wouldnt ever run that boat without a bilge pump, as it has no siphon bilge. The electric pump is the only thing keeping it from filling up, if there were a leak.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    How much?
    The asking price is silly high, but I have not yet gotten into the arm wrestling stage.
    Once I am fully armed with information, and I evaluate the boat in person, THEN we talk price.

You can arm yourself to the teeth, but he may choose to forgo this battle and move on to a more likely target.

in otherwords, don't try to dissuede him of the value of his ski - he won't like you.

Be friendly and don't come across as a know-it-all, and by all means leave contact info and do a follow-up phone call in a wek if you don't agree to a price.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    Thanks.
    I purchased the HIN report, and it doesn't show anything negative, as far as I can see.
    HIN report

+1
    If you are paying more than $2000, you are paying too much. If it is salt water boat, that has been under, it is going to be nothing but trouble. There are tons of good solid skis up for sale this time of year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information