Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2001 GP1200R Not Running Good... Help!

I have a 2001 GPR (100% stock & 82HRS.), that has developed this problem: at a stand still, when you go WOT it runs great, ( as it did new.. blubbers a little till it gets going) till 20 to 30 MPH or around 5,000 RPMS, then looses power and runs bad. This is comming and going. Went to the lake this weekend, and the first tank of gas ran excellent. No trouble. Refueled at the marina, and for the 1st 1/4 tank was ok. Went and took a break, then it started running bad again . This was yesterday... Gave up till this morning. Went out at 9:00AM, ran bad for the 1st 5min. or so, then cleared up and ran great. Road hard for a hour or so, taking a short break inbetween this time. Let it sit after this for 1/2 hr, went out again and it started running bad again. Tank went empty, running bad. Had enough and went home. This all started last summer. I left it at the Yamaha shop (after it first started acting up) at the lake last summer, and they drained the fuel tank dry, put in new plugs, and a new battery. It ran good, after I picked it up, but acted up sometimes the rest of the summer. Not as bad as now. My 1st trip this summer, the thing was like it was running on two cylinders. Figured it was old gas.( I top off my tank, and use Staybil for the winter). I gave up till the next day, and then it ran good most of that trip. Put new plugs, and fuel filter on that trip . It did not make a difference. I have heard that the cat will go out on these anytime after 60HRS. A guy this morning said this is probally what is wrong. It seems to act up more when it is hot out side, but it was cool this morning, and still did it. When it does this, it revs, then bogs, the revs then bogs.... I looked and listened to the power valves working when you 1st turn off the motor. That looked good. This ski has never had ANY work done to it. Never had ANY trouble with it till now. I figure it is something simple, as it only has 80 HRS. I have always run Yamaha Lube W-2 in it. Do any of you Yamaha guys have a idea what is wrong with this ski? I was going to order a Riva cat removal plate and sensor as a start.... ALSO, when are you suppose to do a top end rebuild? Do the power valves require cleaning? I know of the WaveEater clips people are using to avoid the PV troubles, and plan to put them on ASAP. Thanks for any and all help, .......... James in WV USA.

+1
    -Pull the three little covers and do the PV test. See if all three are actually moving internally.

-Compression check.

-Pull the head and inspect it.

The SeaDoo dealer I had it at last Tuesday did a compression test. ALL three cylinders were the same compression. I think he said 130 PSI....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stepjl View Post
    The SeaDoo dealer I had it at last Tuesday did a compression test. ALL three cylinders were the same compression. I think he said 130 PSI....
    I may be wrong but stock should be 120psi. Follow what Hydro. suggested.

+1
    Follow this link and download a service manual. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9546
    I would be looking at your Powervalves like Hydrotoys said.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Sounds more like a broken catalytic converter intermittently clogging the pipe up from chunks of the cat bouncing around in there.

Just something else to check if the power valves check out ok.

allcool

Ordered a D Plate as a Start......

I put in a order to Riva Yamaha today for a D plate, sensor, and sound supression removal kit, along with a Wave Eater clip & coupler kit. Hopefully this will fix my troubles. If not, it's another thing that needs done. Wanted to order the stage 1 kit too, but thought I had better get it running right 1st. The guy a Riva Yamaha said it sounded like the cat was out..... They were out of gaskets for the cat area of the pipe, but he said I could re- use the old ones. I also asked him about the oil lines to the carbs comming off on some GPR's. He had not heard of that, and did not have any special wire ties, or clamps for that. Will have the parts this Thursday. After install, will give an update........

+1
    I hope you find your problem, when you have it all apart doing upgrades. Nothing worse than adding a bunch of goodies when your ski isn't working right.

I Plan On Using Your Advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    I hope you find your problem, when you have it all apart doing upgrades. Nothing worse than adding a bunch of goodies when your ski isn't working right.
    I will take the covers off the power valves and do a visual on them as you sugested.... I don't plan at this time to take the cyl. heads off though, as the compression check the other day was good. Thanks for the info.

+1
    Sounds like a broken converter or a possible bad fuel valve. After thinking about your time frame its possible when you turn to reserve the valve is limiting the fuel. It is relatively easy to bypass and check.

Usually PVs either work or don't. IMHO.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information