Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

High Mileage Weekend Report

One thing great about this site is meeting up and riding with other members. Yesterday my wife and I met up with JW and his family. First of all, JW is a great person to hang around. Knows his 4-strokes and how to mod the heck out of them. Riding with JW, his wife and daughter was the perfect way to spend a Saturday. They took the time to show us parts of the St. John's river that we have never been on.

This ride consisted of 4 Ultras (3 250's and 1 LX) plus my GPR. By the end of the day we had put 85 miles on the skis. We hit everything from glass water in parts of the river to good size chop in Lake George. The Ultras had absolutely no problems. And forget about them in the chop. All I could do on my GPR was watch them cruise across the lake.

As a side note - the only problem was with my GPR. I could barely pull 6800 rpms. Today I found the problem - a broken band clamp on my exhaust coupler was spraying water onto my velocity stacks, Went to ACE HARDWARE (ACE isn't just for Kawi parts) and bought a $3.49 SS clamp and was back on the water.

My wife put another 40 miles on the Ultra today, so between yesterday and today we logged 125 miles of riding. The results: no oil or gas in the drain tube, and on a slight rise in oil level. No gas smell in the oil at all!

Spent time talking with JW about the hose that runs from above the oil filter over to the fresh air intake on the crankcase plus some other ideas.

Beware - JW has one fast running Ultra 250. Watching his ski cut across the water is a thing of beauty - his ski is dialed in with more to come.

JW - we had a blast yesterday. Thanks to you and your family for a great day of riding.

+1
    I thought the GPR did great on the lake. I was suprised at how well it did and I was surprised at how well the LX handled the lake with a very novice rider. One thing we both learned here is we need gloves to ride when it is rough. I love riding Lake George when it gets rough.

We had a great time and enjoyed the company.

My ultra had the best midrange pull I have ever felt yesterday. I just could not get more than 67.5 on GPS of course it wasnt till I looked at the channel markers and saw I was riding against the current and the wind that I felt better. Also, even though the temps were down I checked and humidity was still very high.
    Last edited by spaulding; 09-09-2007 at 08:00 PM.

+1
    You guys should join us next weekend. its a big club ride from Daytona to st augustine on the intercoastel.
    it will be a 100 mile day ....

+1
    I met up with some of you at the Glenn a couple of weeks ago. I doubt I do Daytona to st.augustine it makes more sense for me to do it the opposite direction. I may meet up in St. Augustine.

Back to performance, I had very little fluid in the drain on either ski. Also, I think I have a solution for the catch can and drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    I thought the GPR did great on the lake. I was suprised at how well it did and I was surprised at how well the LX handled the lake with a very novice rider.
    I'll stack your novice LX rider against just about anyone. For someone with such little time on a jetski, she rode like a pro. Heck, I was behind all of you going across the lake

+1
    I thought the GPR did great on the lake. I was suprised at how well it did and I was surprised at how well the LX handled the lake with a very novice rider. One thing we both learned here is we need gloves to ride when it is rough. I love riding Lake George when it gets rough.

We had a great time and enjoyed the company.

My ultra had the best midrange pull I have ever felt yesterday. I just could not get more than 67.5 on GPS of course it wasnt till I looked at the channel markers and saw I was riding against the current and the wind that I felt better. Also, even though the temps were down I checked and humidity was still very high.
    JW,
    If you ride with the handlebars most of the way up, you will get more air down toward the drilled cover than with the bars set down lower.
    Give it a try,
    Jimmy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    JW,
    If you ride with the handlebars most of the way up, you will get more air down toward the drilled cover than with the bars set down lower.
    Give it a try,
    Jimmy
    I have tried all handlebar positions and GPS says different for top speed. That was before the cover was drilled.
    Last edited by spaulding; 09-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorcountry View Post
    I'll stack your novice LX rider against just about anyone. For someone with such little time on a jetski, she rode like a pro. Heck, I was behind all of you going across the lake
    You must be talking about going, because coming back you were just behind me most of the way.

Funny thing about the novice is I would speed up to get out in front and try and direct her if needed and I would look over and she would be beside me just grinning at me. 18 and no fear!

... I was surprised at how well the LX handled the lake with a very novice rider...
    Can you fill us in on how that Ultra LX performs compared to the Ultra 250X including acceleration, top speed, mileage etc? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Can you fill us in on how that Ultra LX performs compared to the Ultra 250X including acceleration, top speed, mileage etc? Thanks
    acceleration- no comparison, not bad to 40-45, slow upto about 53, I have done no work on the tunnel. It is as bas as the 250s.

Top speed - 55 best with GPS, 100% stock, an intake and secondary waterbox delete + ride plate, and clean tunnel should get this ski to 60.

Handling- feels lighter than the ultra for sure, runs right beside mine upto 50 on 2-3 chop and swells with an 18 year old novice rider.

mileage- better than the 250 for sure. 85 miles saturday full tank plus 5 gallons refill all three ultra 250s on the fuel warning at the end of the day. All three 250s refilled at the same time. I do not know how many bars are left on the LX I have not checked.

If speed is not your goal and you are comfortable stock at mid 40s the LX is great. It is basically a 250 without the SC. I think simple mods intake, exhaust and ride plate and cruising at 50+ would be no problem.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information