Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Intake grate debate

Ok I put on a new R&D intake grate and was so dissappointed that I almost took it off. It cavitated very badly. I removed it and resealed everything. If it does not work better this time I am going to remove it and cut the scoop off to see if this helps. I am also going to do a little custom grinding on it to make it fit a little better.

What have you guys done to the R&D to help it hook up better. In anything other then glass it would not hook up at all. It would break loose and not let me get above 7 mph.

I am just looking for ideas and hoping we all can help each other out.

+1
    The stock intake grate with 1,3,5 bars or the 2&4 bars cut out seems to be the best choice......make sure you seal the grate to the hull & ride plate well.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    DO NOT cut the scoop off.

You have to grind the #$*& out of it to fit up into the hull without hanging down. Smackwave had to heavily modify his as well.

No fancy milling machine here, just a belt sander and 50 grit belts.

I took ALOT off. Don't have any measurements though. 'ski is currently 100 miles away.

You will LOVE this grate once you get it right. I ride with 2 other guys with the R-12x and run away from them in the chop.

When I have the opportunity, I will post pics.

+1
    please post some pictures.

Been modifying them for 7 years and test all the other manufactures. As Tommygunner said; just remove 2 or 3 bars from the stock one.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    Hey guys, it's a small group that's actually happy with their R&D grate for the R-12X! Out of the box the R&D grate needs a lot of work, but put the effort into it and it's worth it. The front and rear mounting bosses need to be ground down until the sides of the grate are flush with the hull. Test fit the grate, measure how far it hangs below the hull, and that's how much material to remove from the bosses. While you're at it use a medium file to remove any casting flaws from the front of the bars and wings, and finish up by working over the grate with 220 grit sandpaper.
    Last edited by smackwave; 09-11-2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling and typos

+1
    Will someone post a picture of their grate finished off. I have moddified many grates. I am just wanting to see what others have done on the Hondas. I am thinking that it will be a little more then grinding on mine, it may need some bending too.

+1
    Here's my grate with a couple seasons of oxidation on it. Not a whole lot of work was done to the visible portions, mostly cleaning up and rounding out the front edge of the wing, but you can see how the grate fits inside the hull and not hanging below it. Also notice the lack of sealing around the sides/back of the grate - the only sealing is on the pump shoe lip and a small bead along the outside bars.

+1
    Hmm... Testing 1... 2... 3. Is this thing on? Let's see if attachy works THIS time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3303.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	734.4 KB 
ID:	38294  

+1
    You did a nice job of wittling on that thing......what kind of results did it produce?

Have you thought about extending the bar ribbing on the ride plate to form skeggs and angle milling the ride plate only along the bolt mounting area of the plate, to match the center part of the plate? I haven't tried it yet, and I don't know how it work out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information