Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wierd Starter relay problem....NEED HELP???

This is a takeoff to my earlier topic....testing a SC Charging system. For a 2003 4TEC SC modded out by Mr. Underwood himself.

Here's my problem. My starter relay is working intermittantly.....but mostly not at all. I know the battery has max charge...it is a sealed, 1 year old battery. Without the DESS key on, I can jump the post of the solenoid & it'll crank HARD until the cows come home. But use the start switch & I just get CLICK CLICK CLICK........like the battery is low. With the DESS key on I can jump the posts on the relay & it'll start right up like it's supposed to.

Now, here's the strange part. I thought the relay was bad, & had an older known working one as a backup, but also bought a new one. I've hooked up all three & I get the same results.

Anyone have any ideas.........thanks.....mike

you are also bypassing the push button start/stop switch when you jump the post on the relay. Look for a bad/weak connection leading to the push button start/stop switch, next I would unplug the installed push button start/stop switch and try a new one before I swapped them. Also check the ground connection from the engine to the wiring harness, if it's bad it could cause something like this too.

I had this problem when my ground wasn't connected all the way.

thanks.....I'll look into both tomorrow....mp

+1
    If you can start it by shorting the starter motor and all that happens when you push the switch is a loud click then the starter solenoid is fucked.You need to replace the complete starter......

I had a similar problem with the click click click. Endup changing the regulator and problem was solved....

Tas.....what regulator......where is it? You don't mean the Starter Relay, do you?

the regulator would cause starting problems if the battery wasn't being charged and didn't have enough power to spin the engine. Since you can jump the starter relay and it spins over fine I wouldn't think it was the regulator.

Jitees,

I never got to see the actaul part that was replaced. All i got was an invoice with what was done lol

If it helps the item no that was replaced was 278001969. Hopefully thats a Seadoo parts No. Les who fixed the ski is away at the moment so I can't get you anymore information.

I could be steering you in the wrong direction but check the thread about the RECTIFIER.

Tas....no, thats not the relay.......

The only cable connection I've not been able to clean & retighten is the relay cable to the starter, but it feels tight. NOw yesterday I go to start it first thing & VAROOM......starts right up. I run it a few seconds, try again & VAROOM, again right up. SO I think the problem is solved, try a third time & CLIK CLIK CLIK CLIK..............nothing. So I take off the DESS & jump the posts of the relay again & the engine turns over like crazy for 10+ seconds. I am confused............................

I'm leaving on vacation with the ski's in 2 days......so I wired a push button starter switch off the 2 relay posts & mounted it in the glove box. Solved the problem, as bogus as it is, but I'll at least be able to go on the trip....gonna have to address this though when I get back.......any other idea's...............please keep them coming................thanks......mp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information