Thread: spark plug help

Moderated

Unhappy spark plug help

Guys

It seems i am having a bad run with my new ski and in my over zelous attempt tighten up my spark plug after doing a compression test i over tightened it ( i dont have a torque wrench yet)

The plug in question now feels like it stripped the thread motor as it went tight and i tightened it a bit more and then went a lot slacker then it was, it feels like it stripped the thread to me....

how do i fix this ??

+1
    Check to see if you actually stripped the threads first.

If you did, I suggest you pull the head then use a helicoil.

www.helicoil.com

Moderated
    Salty

it just keeps turning. the ski does start up but i am not convinced the thread is sealed now.

i kinda figured something along the lines of a helicoil would be required..i guess this means the head has to come off and get drilled and helicolied etc..

for arguments sake , if the trhead is indeed stripped and does indeed need to be helicoiled, what sort of damange is a workshop going to do to my wallet to get something like this done as i am not so confident i can do it myself. In fact i am rather hesitant to touch it now after the last 2 days events, its just gone from bad to worse for me

+1
    If you pull the head yourself and take it them it won't be as bad. I am sure it would be a minimum charge not more than 1/2 hour of work involved.

+1
    Make sure you use a shop vac to get any metal shavings out of the cylinder when you remove the head. If you stripped threads, you can bet there are some small shavings down there.

+1
    What they said.

You will need a good torque wrench (or access to one), along with a small tube of blue locktite to put the head back on. The head gasket if it is OEM is reuseable.

You can do it. We will get you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    Salty

it just keeps turning. the ski does start up but i am not convinced the thread is sealed now.

i kinda figured something along the lines of a helicoil would be required..i guess this means the head has to come off and get drilled and helicolied etc..

It's an m12X 1.25 thread. I would not pull the head, bring the piston up till the ports are covered( just dont drill through it) helicoil it and then vacuum the spark plug hole. Put some oil down the cylinder and replace plug and fire it up.
    Costs about 35 bucks to have a heli coil installed here in canuck land, takes 5 minutes to do. Though the cost of the repair kit might cost even more then this.
    If it's a stock yamaha paper gasket with steel fire ring, not recommended to reuse, if its a mls (Multi layer steel) ya can get away with it.
    Good luck

Moderated
    how do bring the cylinders head up manually so its at the top of the head?>

well i tried running it on a hose tonight for a bit longer and as soon as i touched the throttle it snapped that spark plug in half, as in it sheered off the thread part of the plug. Seems to broke the hose while i am at it...I am getting the impression i should not touch anything for a while until tis bad luck spell passes.

I did get the plug coil out and will get some new ones tomorrow and then i will see if the thread in the head is indeed stripped or not. If it is stripped I will just get a mechanic to fix it as i seem to break something evertime i try and touch that ski since sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by izz0; 09-11-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: latest update

Thread Information