Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

More on Tub Reinforcement...

OK. Finally got the inside "tub" removed. Thanks jawz again for the advice. Sorry about pestering you all the time.

The pics show the tub actually coming out, the removal of the styrofoam...

you can see in two of the pics how compressible this styrofoam is. It doesn't provide much in terms of reinforcement or stabilization. I think seadoo just put it their for flotation (terrible).

You can even see in one of th pics the styrofoam is actually not even touching the outer hull, gapped by 1/4 inch in some places.

In the next few days, I'm going to reinforce the foot area. As you can see this stupid feet are the cause of all kinds of problems.

I'm taking jawz advice and laying down new strips of mat in the areas of the feet to distribute the forces of the outer hull banging on the inner hull.

Then after that grind off feet on the inner tub to accomadate a new rubber liner material that will go between the inner and outer hull.

Then after that make holes for 8lb polyurethane expansion foam. It's going to be solid after that for sure. Progress being made

Sorry here are the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1034.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	38264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1035.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	526.0 KB 
ID:	38265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1039.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	38268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1040.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	38269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1048.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	38270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1050.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	496.2 KB 
ID:	38271  

+1
    Jawz, I too thank u for putting up w/ yellows' pestering, but these pics speak volumes as to what is going on here Thanks for these pics Yellow and keep 'em coming

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow4 View Post
    In the next few days, I'm going to reinforce the foot area. As you can see this stupid feet are the cause of all kinds of problems.

I'm taking jawz advice and laying down new strips of mat in the areas of the feet to distribute the forces of the outer hull banging on the inner hull.

Then after that grind off feet on the inner tub to accomadate a new rubber liner material that will go between the inner and outer hull.

Then after that make holes for 8lb polyurethane expansion foam. It's going to be solid after that for sure.
    So, is that the way most people are fixing this? Cut off the feet, put in a layer or two of glass/mat, lay in a thick (how thick?) rubber mat, then re-glass the inner liner in and inject foam? How 'deep' are the feet (how much space is between the bare inner and bare outer hull pieces)?

Great thread and pics

I know I talk about this guy a lot and don't know him but anyways the rude dog guy layed in mat left to right all the way up to the bond line on each side of the ski which I don't think is necessary.

When I jawz gave me the advice. he saide to lay in 8 x 20 inch strips followed by 6 in strips followed by 4 inch strips on top of the area where the foot hits on each side.

This makes perfect sense. I wouldn't say that I'm a fiberglass expert, but I did read very thoroughly WEST system Epoxys guidelines on structural reinfocement.

By starting with the Larger piece (the 8 inch x 20 inch piece) and then stepping back to smaller pieces 6 inch x 18, and then 4 inch x 16, You are adding thickiness in the area that is needed the most namely underneath the foot area and also DISTRIBUTING the force/pressure that is generated when the inner tub foot depresses on the outer hull.

The thickness to strive for is about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch. I used the three layers of mat 3/4 oz fiberglass mat. This should be plenty.

The rubber liner as jawz said is a piece of intertube. 2mm - 3 mm should work. but I think that i am going to use a cut up mouse pad, that should work fine. thickness is 3 - 4 mm.

So now when you come crashing down on a wave and the outer hull pushes and compresses towards the inner hull feet, we have as first defense a layer rubber liner mousepad that serves as a cushion and slight give, then if we do have contact with the feet of the inner hull meaning the rubber got smushed due to compression, now we have load distribution over the newly laid layers of fiberglass mat.

Not bonding the inner and outer hull provides another line of defense. With them bonded the bottom hull has no choice but to stress crack in an oval pattern around the foot.

Not only that another measure of reinforcement would be the 8lb polyurethane foam which according the specs at us composites, has about 250 lb parallel compressive strength. which is what we want.

I can compress styrofoam almost completely with my hand. The foam would be stiff enough to provide quite a bit of support in the most needed area.

16 lb foam may be to rigid. This might create problem because that foam is for one thing heavy, and also rock hard. I don't want to creat a situation where. I reinforce that area so good that now when I come crashing on a wave, that it creates stress cracks on the hull outlining the area where i put the rock foam.

Anyways i hope that makes sense. I hope to never have to do this sh*t again
    Last edited by yellow4; 09-11-2007 at 10:53 PM.

+1
    i say if shes gonna go 80+ then bag it, bolt it and BANG it!!!!!!!!!! sounds good to me! hope its what u want when u r finished Bro! looks like a nightmare to me! good work!

This skis gotta last now! I figure I would do it, and give my 110 percent so I won't have to kick my own ass in the future.

No new ski for a while now, gotta try to have a baby now!

+1
    Interesting, thanks ... It seems like there would be potentially a few different ways to fix this. Boats tend to run full length wood or fiberglass stringers to distribute the weight and load. That would be an option, but would require eliminating the feet entirely, and replacing them with a stringer that butts to the bulkhead and runs all the way forward, fully glassed in. Or you could extend the feet all the way too ... flip the inner tub upside down and build up/extend the existing feet the full length of the tub to distribute the load.

I assumed after the fix work you would reglass the tub into place and seal it, then drill some holes and inject foam until it came out the other holes, giving more support. Why not reattach the inner liner/bucket? Won't it move around unless it is glassed back in?

I'm sorry I must have flubbed up somewhere during my explanation. Yeah, I will reglass the tub back in to position. But I was talking about not gluing/bonding the feet down to the outer hull again, that's all.

you have to reglass the tub for strength and rigidity, otherwise the areas surrounding the tub fiberglass are flimsy.

+1
    Noble racing has done this fix to many rxps, although their skis are raced in some of the roughest water around they still delam after the fix.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information