Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 Ultra 150 won't start

Bought a new battery after purchasing this ski that sat for 3 years with a cooling clog. I'm pretty confident that I got the clog out, so I'm ready to start this mother and hit the lake. Soo, got the battery, poured the acid, normalize, trickle charge over night, plus a lil... got a few cranks out of it then click click click... charge another night. Click click click... so I order a new starter. Remove, install, fill the 200 ml of 2 stroke oil... Again, I get a couple cranks and click click click, plus a battery light. Take the battery in to test it at the local Auto Zone, tested fine... down to Advance Auto Parts, tested fine. THink my charger is bad, or am I looking at another issue????????????????

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wareameye View Post
    Bought a new battery after purchasing this ski that sat for 3 years with a cooling clog. I'm pretty confident that I got the clog out, so I'm ready to start this mother and hit the lake. Soo, got the battery, poured the acid, normalize, trickle charge over night, plus a lil... got a few cranks out of it then click click click... charge another night. Click click click... so I order a new starter. Remove, install, fill the 200 ml of 2 stroke oil... Again, I get a couple cranks and click click click, plus a battery light. Take the battery in to test it at the local Auto Zone, tested fine... down to Advance Auto Parts, tested fine. THink my charger is bad, or am I looking at another issue????????????????
    Start with checking out your cabling. + From the battery to the starter. Then check your ground. Do you notice the cables smoking at all when your cranking it?

If you havent already, pull off all the fittings at the heads. Make sure they arent plugged. After you get it started and running. After that is a fairly good idea to ditch the 90* fittings and get straight ones instead. The 90* fittings is part of the reason they get plugged and cause issues. They make a "pisser kit" that has the straight fittings plus a bit more.

Definatly check those connections if you have a volt meter check for voltage drop at each connection while starting. You could be getting a drop through the starter relay. also check the ground connection at the motor take it loose and clean it.

A "click" situation is almost always a dirty connection.

If I had a ski that sat for three years, I would do a leak down test to make sure that you don't burn up a piston. A good carb cleaning would also be in order.

Just my two cents worth.

Let us know what you find is the problem.

Thanks guys, I'll check for voltage drop tonight when I get home. Also, I've given the carbs a good soaking in seafoam.

What specs do I need to follow for the leak down test? Piston position, PSI, ect?

Also, I was going to order a triple pisser kit, but I work for a valve and fitting mfg, is there anything special to the fittings as far as ID, or can i just mic them and make a straight fitting with the same ID? At that point, all I'd have to actually buy is the hull fittings right?

THANKS again!

John Zigler has the pisser hull fittings 3 for $35.00 (90* polished aluminum) shipped to the lower 48 states. He is a member of this board so you can PM him or send him a email. His link is in my signature.

The head fittings are strait in the kit and they are restricted to keep the cylinder temps right.

OK!! got it fired up, it was my shore charger... The 2amp circuit breaker on it kept tripping not allowing it to fully charge. So I got this beast fired up, it's cooling on the hose just fine, which it had not before, OR in the water. Soo, I'm going to head off to the lake tonight and hopefully it sucks up the water and spits it back out as it should.

Anyone know the restriction on the ID of these fittings? Like I said, we make fittings here. I'd rather do some "government work" for an hour here than spend money on something I don't need to. I'm a cheap bastard if it's something simple like that!

I would think that you could just match up the ID to the originals.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wareameye View Post
    OK!! got it fired up, it was my shore charger... The 2amp circuit breaker on it kept tripping not allowing it to fully charge. So I got this beast fired up, it's cooling on the hose just fine, which it had not before, OR in the water. Soo, I'm going to head off to the lake tonight and hopefully it sucks up the water and spits it back out as it should.

Anyone know the restriction on the ID of these fittings? Like I said, we make fittings here. I'd rather do some "government work" for an hour here than spend money on something I don't need to. I'm a cheap bastard if it's something simple like that!
    That may be easier said than done. But after you mess with the fittings, buy the hose, buy 3 billet pisser fittings........ You prolly could have just as easily bought the whole pisser kit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information