GPS recommendation for Jetski's

I am hooked on my c330 Garmin Tripmaster for my car. I would love a recommendation on a good, waterproof handheld garmin that would be good for the Polaris. I would like visual maps so i can see the land and water masses just like my car garmin does. Not real interested in depth readings even though that would be cool. It seems i should be able to get one under $200 but the one i like that looks like it does what i want on http://www.cheapgarmin.com is around $350 GPSMAP 76CSx. Any suggestions?

that would be The one I'd suggest

I love my GPSMAP 60Csx. It has large numbers so you can instantly see top speed, current speed, and distance traveled. Screen is pretty big and it has an external antenna for better reception. I also like the button placement better on the 60 vs. the 76, as you can hold it more like a cell phone while scrolling through features.
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 09-12-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tthomasjr View Post
    I am hooked on my c330 Garmin Tripmaster for my car. I would love a recommendation on a good, waterproof handheld garmin that would be good for the Polaris. I would like visual maps so i can see the land and water masses just like my car garmin does. Not real interested in depth readings even though that would be cool. It seems i should be able to get one under $200 but the one i like that looks like it does what i want on http://www.cheapgarmin.com is around $350 GPSMAP 76CSx. Any suggestions?
    I have the GPSmap 76CSx, and overall I like it. I use it in the car, and on the boat.

When strapped to the boat's "dash" area, and I am moving at speed, I find the map/chart display is a bit small to be readable. It certainly does seem to be waterproof, and the textual displays (speed, etc) are large enough to be visible, no problem.

Just the actual chart display that I find is hard to read. If I zoom in enough to see the details (marked rocks, shoals, etc), then it is only showing me a small area right around me.

At speed, I quickly move across the whole area being shown. Unless I am looking at it the whole time, between one glance and the next, I have moved beyond the edge of what the previous glance showed me.

The GPSmap 76CSx is a good, solid unit. If I was buying another, I would look for one with a larger display, with more pixels. Other than that, it works fine on the water.

Not very important for boating, but I do find the altimeter feature to be sketchy. Sometimes it shows big altitude changes when I am moving on flat ground.

Thread Information