Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Retarted question.

ok this is goin to sound retarded. my friend was saying why dont they have
    a tank of ice water and pump that thru the intercooler making the air cooler
    than the lake water. and i said not bad till the hot air hits the cold fins and makes condensation and all that water goes in your motor.
    what do you guys think?

Get NOS.... much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by FL03GTX View Post
    ok this is goin to sound retarded. my friend was saying why dont they have
    a tank of ice water and pump that thru the intercooler making the air cooler
    than the lake water. and i said not bad till the hot air hits the cold fins and makes condensation and all that water goes in your motor.
    what do you guys think?
    They use this type of cooler in drag racing, it only works for a few minutes before the ice melts, then you start to heat the water, instead of cooling the intake charge, Any time you use a closed loop system you will have a point where the temps rise and then stabilize, obviosly the warmer the temps the less performance you have. The system that provides a constant supply of fresh cool water is the best for this application where you have extended operating times.

what about this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liquid ntro.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	38422  

+1

Liquid Nitrogen

That would be some cold air at 360 deg. below zero.At work we like to put about a 1/2" of it in the bottom of a plastic Coke bottle then put the lid on it. In about three minutes its like a m-80 and shredded plastic. Yeah we get bore sometimes or scare new hires.

Scott

bruinsrme,

Condensation or frost build up wouldn't be a problem?

How about a dry ice container?
    Last edited by VaRedneck; 09-12-2007 at 09:39 PM.

+1
    hahaha scott, when i was in college we used to do that too, one time my roomate practically blew his hand off though... oops
    his fingers looked like hot dogs for a week

+1
    For drag racing (short burst) u can spray nos onto the outside of the intercooler(air to air type) and the gains are huge w/o the motor ever breathing the spray. Many times b4 a race I would even use nos bottle in hand standing over engine and literally freeze the intake b4 a run. Now the ice-water thru intercooler huh? Our homes already have something that heats water...............

Like stated above, it works for drag racing or "one time only" type applications.

For repeatability, most people use an air/air or an air/water/air intercooler.

Vortech uses air/water/air, which are less efficient (because of the multiple exchanges) but cheaper because it uses the existing radiator (in most cases). Other manufacturers use air/air intercoolers.

You can also use methanol injection or nitrous, both of which will cool the intake charge (as both fluids being injected are cooler than the intake charge).

As stated above, you can also spray gas across the outside of the air/air intercooler and increase the efficiency. (although it's smarter to use compressed air or C02 then spend the money to buy nitrous).

A lot of times you'll see drag racers not only have an in car ice cooler, but between each race they'll ice down the intake and any induction components to pull out as much heat as possible so when they get to the starting line, the temps are slightly lower.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    bruinsrme,

Condensation or frost build up wouldn't be a problem?

How about a dry ice container?
    Dry ice and Acetone soultion would probably be a little more effective cost wise, volume wise, and with the somewhat warmer temperatures there would be less condensation.

A small dryer set up similar to the Graco filter may work as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information