Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Giving it a try - Driveshaft Seal (no more carbon ring)

I know there's mixed opinions on this type of driveline seal, but I'm just sick of dealing with a circlip everytime i gotta take the motor out, and these days that is way more often than i like or would like to even admit.

In addition to that inconvenience, I've been chasing a slight condition of taking on water while under way, but not while sitting in the water with the machine off. Subsequently, and since my motor has been apart (again) for over a month, i took the leisure of tearing every single water line out of the ski on the "open loop" side and went inch by inch looking for a damaged hose. Then i took off all the sponsons and RE block offs and resealed everything. and as a last effort to prevent the possibility of the carbon seal losing intension, prevent cavitation, and prevent the need for any type of driveshaft removal tool ever again i sprung for the bearing carrier style driveshaft seal ("similar" to seals found on Polaris, old Seadoos pre-'96, etc)

Here's some pictures, hopefully i'll get to try it out soon, but in the meantime it gave me something to do in my desperation to tinker with my ski which was followed by its 13th waxing since the last time it touched water

maybe now i'll tinker with the open loop cooling kit i've had sitting in the box since March... the closed loop cooling is my next source of aggravation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01760 (Small).JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	38430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01761 (Small).JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	38431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01763 (Small).JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	38432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01765 (Small).JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	38433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01767 (Small).JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	38434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01768 (Small).JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	38436  

+1
    Shib i got two (2) of those and i had to remove mine to glue in that clear plastic seal ring stiffner in so it would stay Bro! u might keep an eye on it. when it comes out of the seal end closest to the motor u can see it with the engine idling and a flash light! just thought u should know! as well i got 2 different sizes the shorter one is 5 5/8" and the longer one is 5 8/7". if you can let me know what size your drive shaft seal measures in length i would appreciate it. thanks! good luck with yours!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2043.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	38439  

+1
    5 5/8" and 5 7/8" sorry typo! from boot end to end of aluminum seal where the clear plastic seal stiffner is located. thanks!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Steve... there is actually a bit of lee-way as to what the length of the rubber hose can be. So long as the seals are within, or between, two certain lips on the driveshaft it's going to seal properly. It's not an exact science, but it's a reasonably close type of science, lol...

i will measure mine tho for you tomorrow so you can rest easy about which one of yours is more common, but there's defintiely a small amount of variance that's allowed.

i'll keep an eye on that plastic stiffener, thanks for the heads up!

Shibby
    The other Steve

+1
    Those things do look sweet

Its on the winter to do list.

+1
    Shib i figured as much about the length because i seen where it rides on the shaft but was CURIOUS which one of mine is closer to yours in length. as well u can see one of mine has a bent rubber boot and has never been installed and was curious is yours bent any??? thanks! you will need to fold up the rubber flap off the rear engine drive shaft bearing when u go to view the clear seal stiffner as well because as u can see the end of the drive shaft seal rides very close to the rear engine exterior drive shaft bearing. hope yours performs and u get rid of your cavitation. im putting mine back in before this weekend and trying it again!

+1

seal

i am using it and would never go back to the carbonseal. never had a problem.

+1
    rxpdoo glad to hear bro!

Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    i am using it and would never go back to the carbonseal. never had a problem.
    Bari, do ya have a pic of yours installed?

a few questions: who`s is it? how much $$$? and what`s the install procedure?...PR...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information