Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

1996 SL900 - extended pump? Caveats?

I am looking at this 1996 SL900, and from the pictures it appears it might have an extended pump. Was that standard back then?
    As seems to often be the case, the seller has owned this ski only since this summer, fixed up a problem cylinder, and is now selling it. Prior history was a single owner since new (so I am told), but no older service info.

So from the less than perfect pictures, or from knowledge, would this SL900 have an extended pump? The ride plate is hard to see, so I don't know if it is long or not.

Since 1996 was the first year for the domestic engine (as far as I know), are there things to watch out for?
    I think I have read that the flywheel stators in the first few years were prone to failure.
    Anything else?

I am familiar with the '97 SL900, and other than the start and choke buttons being in a different place, did anything important change from '96 to '97?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_0102.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	38444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_0101.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	38445  

+1
    The 1996 SL900 came stock with extended pump.
    Browse all the models.
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The 1996 SL900 came stock with extended pump.
    Browse all the models.
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
    Sorry, for some reason I didn't think of looking there.
    So the pump is extended, but the ride plate is not.

I also see the pump stators are different numbers, and the '96 17-22 impeller pitch is different from '97 17-25, not sure whether they are both 3 blades.

I am guessing that the hulls didn't change much.

Anything I should be watching for with a '96 SL900?

+1
    My friend has a 96 & 97 900.Mechanicaly identical.Both have long pump,long ride plate,sponsons.Mentioned the 96 accelerates better from stand still(17/22 impeller)

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Since 1996 was the first year for the domestic engine (as far as I know), are there things to watch out for?
    I think I have read that the flywheel stators in the first few years were prone to failure.
    Anything else?

I am familiar with the '97 SL900, and other than the start and choke buttons being in a different place, did anything important change from '96 to '97?
    The SL 900 has an extended pump and ride plate...you need to have the ride plate if you have the long pump. Mechanically, the 96 and 97 900s are the same. The hull was improved in looks and function in 97. The gas filler was moved from the front to the side, tank is bigger, and the nose was rounded off (looks better). Not sure why they changed the impeller pitch...both are 3 blade skat swirls. 17-25 is a bit steep for a 900, IMO. My 96 900 would do 58-59 gps, bone stock. The ignition stators were junk for both years, and will eventually need to be updated to the newer style. Polaris rated the 97 900 at 110 hp, rather than 100, but they were identical in the end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    The SL 900 has an extended pump and ride plate...you need to have the ride plate if you have the long pump. Mechanically, the 96 and 97 900s are the same. The hull was improved in looks and function in 97. The gas filler was moved from the front to the side, tank is bigger, and the nose was rounded off (looks better). Not sure why they changed the impeller pitch...both are 3 blade skat swirls. 17-25 is a bit steep for a 900, IMO. My 96 900 would do 58-59 gps, bone stock. The ignition stators were junk for both years, and will eventually need to be updated to the newer style. Polaris rated the 97 900 at 110 hp, rather than 100, but they were identical in the end.
    Hull improvements for '97 - on the wet side,or just the top side?

Was there a performance improvement with the updated electrical kit, or just reliability?
    I will go looking for the info regarding how I tell if the update is already installed. Saw it in here somewhere...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Hull improvements for '97 - on the wet side,or just the top side?

Was there a performance improvement with the updated electrical kit, or just reliability?
    I will go looking for the info regarding how I tell if the update is already installed. Saw it in here somewhere...

Thanks!
    Top deck only on the hull. No performance improvement with the update...just longevity. You can tell if its updated by looking at the CDI box...if it has an RS232 (serial port) on it, it's updated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Top deck only on the hull.
    No performance improvement with the [CDI] update...just longevity.
    You can tell if its updated by looking at the CDI box...if it has an RS232 (serial port) on it, it's updated.
    Good info.

I am not sure if I have ever noticed an updated CDI (still learning). Is there a photo of what the RS-232 port looks like on a CDI? Just a regular computer type DB-9 pin socket?

I suppose I could also go by the CDI part number. Will go read up on what that would be for the update...

Could the updated CDI could be installed without also updating the stator?
    If so, how can I tell if the stator is original, or updated?

+1
    You need to change them as a kit.......the new and old don't get along. LOL

On the engine, I kind of remember some of the units getting the 009 cylinders and pistons. Check to see if the cylinders are the 007 or 009's and it might explain the reason for the impeller difference??

+1

Difference between 007 and 009 cylinders in 900 motor?

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    You need to change them as a kit.......the new and old don't get along. LOL

On the engine, I kind of remember some of the units getting the 009 cylinders and pistons. Check to see if the cylinders are the 007 or 009's and it might explain the reason for the impeller difference??
    Well, this particular SL900 is about 6 hours away from me, one way. So I have yet to lay eyes on it.

Thanks for the info: Updated CDI always means updated stator too.

Would there be an actual engine output power difference between the 007 and 009 cylinders?
    Is this something that one has to watch for when buying used 900 cylinders 1 or 2 at a time? Is mix 'n match a bad thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information