Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impellers

Impellers

Im looking to get the macboost stage 2 kit for my 04 r 12x but im wondering how the Solas 17/29 Impeller affetcs the ride in terms of accelation and mid-range, i kno it increses top speed a bit. Also does it affect the ride in terms of bouncing in rough water in any way? The pump wedge also gives some more top speed but ive heard that it makes the ski bounce like crazy is this true??

+1
    The stock impeller will produce a slightly higher top speed than the 17/29. The pump wedge, when combined with a modded stock intake grate, will stay hooked up better in the rough and with reduced porpoising.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry, but I have a bit of a different take on this. If you go with a Macsboost stage II you will need a Solas 17/29 - the unmodified stock prop will have you bouncing off the rev limiter on all but the lowest boost setting. Performance across the board will be better with the Solas because it will make better use of the additional horsepower. Yes, this setup can make porpoising worse in the rough stuff for two reasons: because the slower spinning prop takes slightly longer to hook-up again and you'll have that much more thrust trying to push the ski out of the water. That is a good thing overall, though, and the simplest solution is to learn how to use your body position and feather the throttle when this happens to bring the ski back under control.

I would not use a pump wedge if you're a rough water rider. I haven't tried it on the R12X myself, mostly because of my previous experience with pump wedges, but J-Me's bad handling experience with it was the final nail in the coffin. If you decide try it, my advice would be to make sure that's the only change you make to your ski at that time.

+1
    I have Mac's module, IC, & pump wedge, stock impeller, & modded intake grate on my R12X. I use the 17.5 boost tube with 1 quart of Torco. I typically see about 6450 rpm's and top speed about 67-68 mph on flat waters. In rough water, about 1+ foot chop, I can run about 50+ mph......

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    The wedge did NOT work for my riding conditions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by J-ME View Post
    The wedge did NOT work for my riding conditions.
    Did you install it on an F12X or the R12X? Mac's 5 degree wedge is for the R12X only.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    a wedge on a R will only cause more problems as you go faster for hook. a F has a "built in wedge" you will really be lost if you add one on a F

When it comes to hull tunning what works for you doesn't apply to all. Looks like J-me has a R12x from his profile.

Shawn

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    I have stock impeller I typically see about 6450 rpm's and top speed about 67-68 mph on flat waters.......
    From my 4 years of data and feedback on a R12x from others with recorders.

With a stock implelor if you are seeing 68MPH gps @ 6450 rpm on a R12x you are ridding with the current and not a true speed. Should be more like 64-65.3 mph @ 6450 rpm and 1/3 tank fuel at best. Repitching the stock prop doesn't help a lot either.

6450 RPM is not enough power to produce 67-68 mph with a stock pitch

sg

+1
    One of these days I'll buy or borrow a GPS.....in the mean time Ive run my R12X against numerous RXT's, modded GTX SC's, and Wakes.....those with 215 hp, and none have beaten my Honda. Those skis get about a boat and a half holeshot, I catch and pass them and they fall behind at a good walking pace. So, what speed would you estimate my ski runs at?
    Last edited by 1tommygunner1927; 09-15-2007 at 10:18 AM.

+1

and you're a better rider than your friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information