Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4" air intake

4" air intake

i finally got around to starting my 4" air intake. its a big improvemnet over stock but i saw ZERO rpm gain . i think the fact that its 7' long and has 2 tight bends probably restrics it.

my current mods are: opas block offs, power pipe, riva grate, riva wedge, vortech sc imp, solas 14/19r, skat pump and venturi mods, and 4" air intake.

i was running a 81mm venturi. think that has something to do with it? mayb wacked out blades on the prop?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air_intake_4_402.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	2855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air_intake_3_475.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	2856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air_intake_2_717.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	2857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air_intake_1_208.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	2858  

+1
    You should stay away from corrugated hose. A friend of mine works at the wind tunnels at Marietta Ga. where they test race cars, airplane wings, airplane props, hoses, boat hulls, etc. The corrugated hose starts the air to tumble inside the hose and restricts smooth air flow. This is something I learned back in the 1960s racing cars. You can get smooth bore hose from your local NAPA dealer. The largest smooth bore they carry without special order is four inch ID. A junk weed blower is where you can get smooth bore plastic 90 degree turns which fit tight inside your 4 inch hose. You should see a big improvement if you change over. Works very well on my 2004 RXP.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance
    You should stay away from corrugated hose. A friend of mine works at the wind tunnels at Marietta Ga. where they test race cars, airplane wings, airplane props, hoses, boat hulls, etc. The corrugated hose starts the air to tumble inside the hose and restricts smooth air flow. This is something I learned back in the 1960s racing cars. You can get smooth bore hose from your local NAPA dealer. The largest smooth bore they carry without special order is four inch ID. A junk weed blower is where you can get smooth bore plastic 90 degree turns which fit tight inside your 4 inch hose. You should see a big improvement if you change over. Works very well on my 2004 RXP.
    excellent point Sundance! also the transitions from coupler to elbow and SC hose is prolly causing some turbulence as well...PR...

the inside is smooth

Quote Originally Posted by mxl16
    the inside is smooth
    Did you cut the original SC hose or is it all in there?...PR...

+1
    Has anyone fit this 4"hose in an RXP with the riva IC? Does it fit past the IC plumbing?

i had to cut that small section cause the i was having a hard time fitting the reducer directly on the sc. next time im home im gonna pull the power pipe off and see if the reducer will fit on the sc. but seriously, how the hell can i have the same rpms with a stock air intake and 4" air intake. unless its just as restrictive as the stock intake it deffinatly pulls much harder. in the process of installing the 4" intake do you think i could have messed with the throttle cable? im pretty sure i was getting a full pull.

It will not fit past the RR IC plumbing. I tried a many difffernt ways and no go. I had to connect to stock hose coming over the driveshaft.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    mxl is right... this is the same stuff i use and several others from moreland hose... 620 WD

its mildly outside corrugated... smooth bore inside. it's very good quality hose, don't let the pics deceive

mxl16, With that setup do you have any airflow coming in the hull for heat & fumes to vent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information