Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Exhaust Temp Overheat - Help please

I'm creating a new thread since I haven't gotten any replies since I updated my introduction post. I'm a new owner of a pair of 2000 GP1200Rs. Both skis have a D-plate and Riva Cat Chip.

Well, I got the skis out on the lake last weekend and had mixed results. One ski was fine, fun and fast (at least for me). The speedo topped out at 73 but it was only 61.4 on the GPS. OK for now but I must find more speed. The second didn't get much use. The exhaust temp warning light/buzzer went off after about 5 - 10 minutes of riding. I shut things down quickly and returned to shore. The engine and exhaust temperature was just fine. I tried removing the chip and plugging the sensor back in and I had the same result. Next, I swapped chips between skis. The ski that ran fine continued to run fine and the bad one still got the warning light after 5 - 10 minutes. I put an Ohm meter on the chips and got 993 Ohms on one chip and 991 Ohms on the other. I've searched the forum for any info on this and while there's a great deal if information, I'm confused as to what to do to resolve the issue. Any suggestions?

Bump to keep my question on page 1. Can anyone help me?

I have an 01Gpr and i also have the r&d d-plate and chip in it. I put it in at about 96hrs and my cat con was stuck down in the stinger where it meets the water box. I was at about the same speed as you also.?

When u removed the cat con did u get all the broken peices out? I would check the water box also just to be sure nothing is leftover in there which may cause the overheat?

After i installed mine it hasn't overheated again. Hope u figure it out.

The D-plate and chip were installed professionally according to the previous owner. According to him, he's never had this problem but the boats did sit for a while after his divorce. I don't think this is a true overheating problem but simply an issue in the electronics.

+1
    There are two different sensors. One is for the cat and the other is for the exhaust. Both are on the lower part of the exhaust.

The cat sensor is what we replace when we add the d-plate. Maybe the other is your issue. Looking @ the bottom of the electrical box the middle one is for the exhaust temp.

Can you swap them and check ? Does the engine feel hotter than the other ? You may have a cooling problem and the sensor is doing exactly what it is supposed to.

+1
    I found this in the manual

The 2nd one is refering to the exhaust temp.

The exhaust temp is the one @ the top of the pipe and the water temp is @ the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	38819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	38820  
    Last edited by mrbtd; 09-17-2007 at 09:26 AM.

+1
    There are two over temp warning icons that appear on the instrument cluster one is Engine water temp and one is Exhaust temp overheat. The Exhaust is the bottom left Icon and the Engine Temp is next to it to the right. The engine overtemp is the standard symbol with a thermometer sitting in water. exhaust looks like a square with 4 lines on top and a line out each side, Can you confirm which one is coming on for me. if you need a copy of the owners manual or service manual let me know also.

It is definitely the exhaust temp warning. I downloaded the owners and service manual from the web page referenced in the sticky on the FAQ page. I was a little confused by mrbtd's first response so I double-checked the manuals.

+1
    Sorry about the confusion on the sensor - I see you figured out I meant water now.

I wonder if the connector could have some damage ? They are a huge PITA to get off.

+1
    Since you switched chips to both skis and they worked on one and not the other, I would suggest checking the receptacle itself make sure the electrical contacts are good. it also may be necessary to open the electrical box and see what is inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information