PWC Illust Ultra's Wild to Wicked

This may already be old news to many but I just got my Oct/Nov issue of PWC Illustrated and was excited to see a big article on moddin the Ultra for the LB/Catalina Race. Article entitled "Voiding the Warranty--When Stock Just Isn't Enough, We Go Ballistic on Our 250X."

For those who have been on GH since the Spring, and those who have read Skip's articles, nothing real new but good layout with lots of photos and commentary. Some of the highlights:

1) 1st priority mod was changing steering system/handlebars. I found this interesting because not many on GH have discussed upgrading to beefier system. May only be needed for heavy offshore use (?);

2) Installed Riva's complete Stage 1 kit. Article emphasized need to get cool air to the engine. Ive been skeptical all season with what I perceived to be an unhealthy obsession with RAMs but I guess you guys wernt just blowin hot air!

3) Yes, they installed the Extender to make sure she could draw down the last 1.5 galls but I chuckled when I read "while some disbelievers deliberated over the efficacy of the extender, none could prove we would damage our craft or hinder fuel flow."

4) Installed Powershot Fuel Tuner. Indicated that this mod will come in handy if & when they change pulley for xtra boost;

5)Installed the block off plates cuz of Ultra's "propensity for excessive blow back";

6)Removed right side water box. Noticed "slight favoring" to one side (with weight change) but "it was not nearly enough to affect handling";

7) Ride plate, sponson etc.

Bottom line--much better acceleration (but no comparison graphs) and 70+. Not bad, but some of you guys already got there on your own!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watercraft Illustrated.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	351.3 KB 
ID:	38495  

One other interesting side note. The issue includes an editorial entitled "Addressing the State of Disunion." Discussion about the significance of internet forums and the negative consequences of some of the personal bashing that goes on. Not sure who they were talking about but the article dovetails nicely with some of our moderators' recent comments.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    This may already be old news to many but I just got my Oct/Nov issue of PWC Illustrated and was excited to see a big article on moddin the Ultra for the LB/Catalina Race. Article entitled "Voiding the Warranty--When Stock Just Isn't Enough, We Go Ballistic on Our 250X."

For those who have been on GH since the Spring, and those who have read Skip's articles, nothing real new but good layout with lots of photos and commentary. Some of the highlights:

1) 1st priority mod was changing steering system/handlebars. I found this interesting because not many on GH have discussed upgrading to beefier system. May only be needed for heavy offshore use (?);

2) Installed Riva's complete Stage 1 kit. Article emphasized need to get cool air to the engine. Ive been skeptical all season with what I perceived to be an unhealthy obsession with RAMs but I guess you guys wernt just blowin hot air!

3) Yes, they installed the Extender to make sure she could draw down the last 1.5 galls but I chuckled when I read "while some disbelievers deliberated over the efficacy of the extender, none could prove we would damage our craft or hinder fuel flow."

4) Installed Powershot Fuel Tuner. Indicated that this mod will come in handy if & when they change pulley for xtra boost;

5)Installed the block off plates cuz of Ultra's "propensity for excessive blow back";

6)Removed right side water box. Noticed "slight favoring" to one side (with weight change) but "it was not nearly enough to affect handling";

7) Ride plate, sponson etc.

Bottom line--much better acceleration (but no comparison graphs) and 70+. Not bad, but some of you guys already got there on your own!
    Blue,
    Now you see why we are obsessed with cool air The more fresh air you get to this thing the better it likes it. You can do intake and exhaust mods and get some gain but add some fresh air and the other mods really seem to wake up. I have done about 5 fresh air mods and every time I added one it ran better. Not to say that intake and exhaust mods don't help. They don't give you a lot on top end but they do give you a much better midrange punch. Some of the air mods I have done would be pretty risky for an offshore rider but Earthshaker has been working on some that would be right up you offshore guys ally.
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 09-13-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    LOL, ya, if i could find/make the time to finish!! I am really trying for this weekend.

+1
    Where can i buy the magazine?
    I have a few old issues but i dont have a subscription and would like one..

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    ...Now you see why we are obsessed with cool air ...Earthshaker has been working on some that would be right up you offshore guys ally.
    Yeah, now I'm startin to get it after scratchin my head all season readin about you guys drillin holes in yer boats while I worried about keepin everything watertight. I guess its a balancing act depending on your goals. I'm glad you mentioned that EShkr's got something cookin, all we have to do now is keep him on task and in the kitchen...

JohnO, PWC Illust is not sold at newstands around here, so I subscribe. You can subscribe on line at www.watercraft.com or call 1-800-831-2220. I see they are doin a promo now where new subsribers are entered in a sweepstake to win a Hydrospace 4 stroke stand up.

+1
    Yeah, now I'm startin to get it after scratchin my head all season readin about you guys drillin holes in yer boats while I worried about keepin everything watertight. I guess its a balancing act depending on your goals. I'm glad you mentioned that EShkr's got something cookin, all we have to do now is keep him on task and in the kitchen...

JohnO, PWC Illust is not sold at newstands around here, so I subscribe. You can subscribe on line at www.watercraft.com or call 1-800-831-2220. I see they are doin a promo now where new subsribers are entered in a sweepstake to win a Hydrospace 4 stroke stand up.
    Blue, I guess a weekend rider with a holesaw can be a scary thing to an offshore guy

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    All the things that have been done up to now are just the start of things to come, with the next set of mods, getting fresh air into the hull is even more important, more horse power= more air intake!

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    I'll be welding the inlets up this morning and my tubing samples should be here early in the week- i'm hoping monday. I really want to go ride this next weekend and relax for once!

Thread Information