Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Importing a ski into Canada - tips?

Well, there is certainly more selection on the south side of the Canadian border, at least for recent model year Polaris.

I have never imported a boat or vehicle from the US into Canada, and I am wondering if those who have done so already could provide some guidance.

My understanding is that the trailer is a whole separate deal, with specific paperwork that needs to be on hand well before the trailer itself is to be brought across. Does anyone have a checklist of exactly what is needed to import trailer, and the process for it all?

As for the boat importation, how exactly does that work?
    Are there differences depending on which US state the boat is coming from?
    What documentation and paperwork is required, and what are the steps?

I would be bringing the boat into Ontario, but are there different rules for boats going into other provinces?

Thanks in advance!

the trailer is always a "homebuilt" when importing it...
    that way there are no title issues at all.
    The ski just needs a Bill of Sale and a clear title, the ski is easier than the trailor.

If you do wish to import the trailor, you'll need to visit www.riv.ca to find out the details of improrting it, which includes a manditory trip to Canadian Tire, as they are the only ones our wonderful government has determined is capable of doing the necessary import safety.

You'll pay them, as well as the Registrar ofimported vehicles, plus taxes on the book value of the trailer.

Now you see why it needs (or should be to make things easier) to be a homebuilt trailer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    the trailer is always a "homebuilt" when importing it...
    that way there are no title issues at all.
    The ski just needs a Bill of Sale and a clear title, the ski is easier than the trailor.

If you do wish to import the trailor, you'll need to visit www.riv.ca to find out the details of improrting it, which includes a manditory trip to Canadian Tire, as they are the only ones our wonderful government has determined is capable of doing the necessary import safety.

You'll pay them, as well as the Registrar ofimported vehicles, plus taxes on the book value of the trailer.

Now you see why it needs (or should be to make things easier) to be a homebuilt trailer?
    Just to be clear;
    The boat does NOT require a recall letter, or any documents other than clear title and bill of sale?

And for the trailer, if it is declared as home built, it does NOT require a recall clearance letter, but if it is a manufactured trailer it does require the recall letter?
    In either case, it needs Canadian Tire to check it over?

What about customs/border fees, and taxes, for boat or trailer?

How are those calculated?
    GST only, or PST & GST?
    Duties?
    What else?

Thanks.

I'd suggest registering the "homebuilt" trailer prior to going to get it - then remove all traces of serial numbers from it prior to bringing it into Canada.

And it has been my understanding that boats - being different registration then automobiles and not being subject to any recalls like cars are can be simply brought across with only title/bill of sale.

I would confirm with CCRA about the boat though, or at least with a local boat dealer to your area.

Head south and go boat shopping. Pick your ride then go back north and buy a Canadian trailer. Head back and pick-up your boat. Could save some headaches.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaEmerson View Post
    Head south and go boat shopping. Pick your ride then go back north and buy a Canadian trailer. Head back and pick-up your boat. Could save some headaches.
    Well, that is roughly my plan.
    I am just trying to get a clear picture of what I would need, both money and paperwork, at the border, to bring the boat into Canada.

I have a Canadian trailer I can borrow from a friend, but most of the trailers for sale around here seem to have boats on them, which are also for sale, and the seller wants to sell them together, but for too much money!

So I may end up buying US boat and trailer together, then swapping the boat onto the Canadian trailer just before the border, to get the boat into Canada. Then going back for the US trailer later, once I have all the trailer paperwork in hand.

If you are crossing in Sarnia or Windsor border, they make you safety the trailer after is is allowed into the country. Canadian tire does this for usually around 200 bucks. It sucks, I would take my own and just bring the boat back. No problem with the watercraft, just have to pay the duty and both taxes, or just ride it home and pay nothing!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    If you are crossing in Sarnia or Windsor border, they make you safety the trailer after is is allowed into the country. Canadian tire does this for usually around 200 bucks. It sucks, I would take my own and just bring the boat back.
    No problem with the watercraft, just have to pay the duty and both taxes, or just ride it home and pay nothing!!!!
    Um, would that affect my ability to then register the boat in Ontario?

What is the duty rate on PWC?

I wouldn't think there would be duty on a Polaris (American Made... Fuji engines notwithstanding)

You see my reasoning for registering the trailer at home as a home-built prior to going to get it? Is there not a trailer around you can use to pass a safety with prior to travelling across the border?

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

try the above link. good news for the boat importer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information