Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

motor installation.. shortcuts?

I am finally ready to install the motor into the hull. Seeing how all of the spacers were still on their respective motor mounts, do you guys think I could put it back in without re aligning the motor to the pump? Looks like they removed it without removing the drive shaft also.. can I install the motor without removing the drive shaft? it says in my clymer manual to keep track of where the shims are and then put them back in the same place, so I would assume that this is OK. However I will be installing a new motor mount, and I'm not sure how close the thicknesses are. Thanks for all of your help, would be a lot harder without the hulk community.

+1
    I would never install it without aligning the engine but others will and do.
    It will lead to early driveshaft wear and/or coupler-impeller problems.
    It just doesn't seem like it's worth the possible damage when it's so easy to spend the time to align it now.

The drives shaft/pump assembly should be removed. While it's out it would be a good time for an inspection of the impeller, bearings etc.

+1
    FLjoyrider, i would not take a short cut on the engine alingment. You can strip the splines in the drive shaft or the coupler. The tolerance is ver close. Even tho the spacers are in you still have side to side alingment to worry about. Plus i think you mentioned you were using new mounts? The new mounts are deffinatly gonna be diffrent that the old mounts becuase there not worn out. I was in the same boat as you a while ago an wasnt sure if i wanted too do the alingment becuase i didnt wanna buy the alingment tool. I ended up breaking down, buying the alingment tool an doing it the rite way. You know what too do, im sure you will do the same . Btw Ask around on the hulk, theres people who make an loan out alingment tools. Im pretty sure beerdart has the alingment tool.

+1
    Dammit Al you beat me too it while i was typing. Btw FLjoyrider, photocraft has been my mentor for the past year an a half, listen too him

Thanks PH20 and Xplayer. I knew I would have to do an oil change in the pump at least so I might as well take the pump out and give it a thorough inspection. I guess I need to get that tool. Should I use threebond on the pump to hull seal?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLjoyrider View Post
    Thanks PH20 and Xplayer. I knew I would have to do an oil change in the pump at least so I might as well take the pump out and give it a thorough inspection. I guess I need to get that tool. Should I use threebond on the pump to hull seal?
    It has an awesome O ring, just a little silicone and you're good.

Have the pump out, just need new orings, the alignment tool, impeller holder, bearings and some sealant. Can I reuse anything or is it better to just replace all of the wear parts while its apart? Who has the tools other than beer (seems really busy) that might be willing to rent or sell them?

+1
    I'd replace the stuff in the pump, check with a bearing house as it's a lot less money. Most will also have the seals as well.

Noticed that the bearings are sealed. This is a good thing right? Where is a good place to pick up all of the orings? didn't run into any seals which I like, just Orings. Seems like polaris made a quality pump that's relatively easy to service. Just need that spline tool. Thanks PH2O for hanging in there with my questions.

+1
    http://www.mcmaster.com/ You'll like the goodies here.
    Randy at Watcon
    Local Dealer

The Polaris pumps are a killer feature and work extremely well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information