Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

C180 interesting results from 14/19

Ok I had planned on swapping my stock impeller for a 14/19 and ended up getting one sooner than planned after sucking up rocks and damaging the stock one.
    When I sucked up the rocks I also damaged the wear ring and shark teeth on the plastic pump support. The wear ring was replaced with a new one and from what I read the shark teeth could be ground off if damaged with no difference in performance so that is what I did.

I got the new solas 14/19 on last night and was able to test it today in rather ideal conditions. The air temp was about 60 and the water temp probably slightly cooler with very mild chop.

The good part of the impeller swap was that I gained 4 MPH which took me from a stock 46 MPH to a solid 50mph on the GPS with my RPM's at around 7900 - 7950(hard to tell with analog guage) When the weather gets hot again next summer I would benefit from a repitch but plan on getting a green wheel so I probably wont have to touch it at all to get into the sweet spot. Only current mod aside from the impeller is a custom intake.

The disappointing part of the results was that I have a slight cavitation out of the hole and the holeshot was not any better than stock impeller , holeshot was what I was really after.
    I think its obvious that my holeshot is suffering from the cavitation cause when it does hookup it definitly accelerates faster than stock. The only thing I can come up with is that the missing shark teeth are responsible for it but read numerous posts that indicate it makes no difference if they were ground out completely. Now I am not so sure...

A friend of mine also has a c180 and he took the intake grate off and claimed it gave him a better holeshot and said it took away the sucking nosie. What he means by sucking noise is open for interpretation. I am wondering if this might be a viable idea cause the new impeller wants to be fed more water before being loaded by boat movement. Yeah I am grasping for ideas cause I dont want to have to replace a pump shoe.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Do you have any other mods?

Do you have any other mods in the boat other than the 14/19? SS wear Ring? How many hours on the boat? (before or after 10 hour service?)

I put in the 13/18 and ss wear ring in mine (only mods). I chewed up some of those teeth too and totalled the plastic wear ring and stock prop on some rocks.

Hole shot is definately better. Problem is that I get between 43-44 mph (not GPS yet...sorry) and on the stock prop I was getting 47-48.

So, if you have no other mods other than the prop, the 14/19 meant an additional 4 mph top end for you and the 13/18 meant losing 4 mph top end for me. Essentially an 8 mph difference between the two props on a stock boat.

Does the boat shake and not move out of the hole? I would be interested to know what some other responses will be to this post regarding your problem. I was actually considering ordering the 14/19 because of the loss of top end on mine. Now I am not so sure.

Is the intake grate the black bars on the bottom ride plate? I didn't know thos came off, or that it was advisable to do so.

I hope some people respond with advice for you...unfortunately, I know very little at this point. I would guess you would get suggestions about repitching the prop or adding mods to elimate the cavitation...but what do I know

clpsuite, yep only mods are 14/19 as per solas recommendation chart and removal of stock intake in favour of a short 3 inch pipe wiith a high flow filter. Wear ring was replace with stock plastic one
    Dont know how many hours guessing around 40 or 50, but that is kind of irrelevant.
    You said your holeshot is better with the 13/18. Does it cavitate any on full throttle starts?
    You also said your teeth got chewed up did you remove them all of just leave them alone?

Nope no shaking, just a short 1 second or so ring da da ding ding or something like that (those that have heard a pump cavitate know the noise) while she is sucking air then the pump gets loaded cause the boat is now moving and forcing water in and at this point acceleration is improved quite a bit over the stock impeller.

Yeah the intake grate is the thing with the three black bars held on by a couple of bolts. Supposed to keep stuff out of the pump but that does not work very well considering the rocks I ingested were pretty big. The idea of removing it is to open up the hole more and reduce turbulance of the water coming into pump.
    Last edited by cfnnslsq; 09-18-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Ok I pulled the intake grate off and although it did not solve my slight cavitation issue on full throttle starts the boat stays hooked up way better in the chop. NO bouncing. Wow!! Its staying off!!!
    Pretty easy to remove if anyone wants to test. Just take out the two allen head bolts holding the grate on and the third connecting the ICS cable and leave mounting bracket and cable where they are.

I also did some more reading and it seems like alot of people were having cavitation issues using the Solas green impeller nose cone. So I took previous suggestions as to how to fix it and put the stock nose cone on. Still have cavitation on start though.

clpsuite,
    Can you answer back as to weather or not you left the damaged pump support teeth alone or if you ground them off? Does your 13/18 cavitate at all on full throttle starts?

I got all the teeth grounded off on my stock shoe for the same reason then you some were partially broken so all are now gone, but i'm still close to stock, only slight mods, i don'T have any cavitation at all though.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    Ok I pulled the intake grate off and although it did not solve my slight cavitation issue on full throttle starts the boat stays hooked up way better in the chop. NO bouncing. Wow!! Its staying off!!!
    Pretty easy to remove if anyone wants to test. Just take out the two allen head bolts holding the grate on and the third connecting the ICS cable and leave mounting bracket and cable where they are.

I also did some more reading and it seems like alot of people were having cavitation issues using the Solas green impeller nose cone. So I took previous suggestions as to how to fix it and put the stock nose cone on. Still have cavitation on start though.

clpsuite,
    Can you answer back as to weather or not you left the damaged pump support teeth alone or if you ground them off? Does your 13/18 cavitate at all on full throttle starts?
    No cavitation here. sorry

Problem solved

It was the leading edges of my stator vanes!!!
    They had only VERY minor dings so I did not pay much attention to them after fixing the rock damage to everything else. The deepest chip was only about 1/16 of an inch deep but made a huge difference.

I ended up using emery cloth wrapped around the vanes after filling the largest of the chips with good old JB Weld, and sanded all the leading edges to a nice round edge. Hopefully that stuff will hold.

Best part is she comes outa the hole like a raped ape compared to stock, no cavitation, and my rpms with an untouched 14/19 are now at 8000 with one person and a full tank of gas. Speed is still a solid 50 MPH on the GPS. I am very happy.

Jerry I will be looking for a green wheel soon.

Nice....so we now know that the 14/19R on a mostly stock C180 is the way to go....and shouldn't create any cavitation...that's fine.

Thank for the heads up...!!!

But now...suppose you got to cold air intake+Green Wheel charger impeller...? Would this be enough to need a 15/20 instead of the 14/19R...? I mean....for the amount of money to spend on a Solas pump impeller, we need to be sure it works fine prior to buy one.

P.S: By the way....should anybody wants to sell a good/used Solas 14/19R....i now officially need one to replace my stock OEM one...!!!

On my 150, with just the intake, a 13/18 had me perfectly at 8100rpms (awesome acceleration, but cost about 1mph topend).

When I got the Green impeller, I had to repitch +1mm (+2mm on a couple of blades; they weren't perfect) to keep it at 8100.

Now that I've got the external IC and injectors, I'm finally putting a 14/19 in tomorrow. I know I may have to repitch up +1mm, but wasn't taking the chance of ruining my acceleration by reaching for the 15/20.

I'm thinking you guys must be running in some cool water to be able to use a 14/19 well on a fairly stock boat. I don't think these 90 degree Florida waters would allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    I'm thinking you guys must be running in some cool water to be able to use a 14/19 well on a fairly stock boat. I don't think these 90 degree Florida waters would allow that.
    Amen to that...96 degrees last time I was in (water TEMP)

Fort Pierce Inlet. Maybe that is why I am not getting near those speeds. 43 maybe 44 TOPS. Nowhere near 50, thats for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information