Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reducing under-seat temps?

I was wondering if there would be a benefit to coating or wrapping the stinger, to reduce the amount of heat it lets off in the engine compartment? I got this idea from headers used on cars. There are OTC wraps and coating to reduce under-hood temps, as well as more offective coating like the ones provided by Jet-Hot. It might help prevent heat-soak and the engine would get cooler air. Just elaborating...(I know that FF tube reduces heat, but doesnt offer any perf. gain)

Dude Thats a good Idea!Have the entire exhaust system(within the engine compartment)coated and lower intake temps.Even though its all waterjacketed it would hold some heat in,and might even cause internal temps to increase slightly,which would increase HP!Take a poll,or better yet try it,Its got my vote.

I guess no one else thinks this would help out the ski...

Its been a slow weekend on the forum,must regular posters will get back on mon & tues.Give it a little time my good man!

African-American
    +1
    Wow sounds like an interesting idea.

I have a few thoughts to add:

The colder hull temps will allow the air to carry more o2, thus improving performance, and .. increasing heat. (might be neglegable gains)

Also by insulating the stinger, arnt we going to increase the exhaust temp in the waterbox and sound supression ?

Sounds like a great idea to me. Send the exhaust and stinger off to be jet-hot coated would look cool and do a great job of keeping heat inside the exhaust. I wouldn't be worried about the SS or Waterbox. Think about how much heat we take away from the inside of the exhaust by swapping to a D-Plate. Adding back that much or less won't hurt a thing and it will let cooler air get into the motor.

+1
    I guess my concern would be about the material getting water logged. Also if saltwater were to saturate the fabric it would be a corrosion nightmare.

We do need to look at reducing engine compartment heat. More venting would help. Both of my ducts are located to the right side and aimed at the carbs. Getting the heat out is the problem. I believe some of the Seadoo guys are drilling holes and installing FlowRite vents.

I've wondered the same thing many times, mainly because i'm an industrial insulation supplier. I have a product called plenum wrap that i think might work well. It's 1/2" thick ceramic fiber blanket encapsulated with foil made by THERMAL CERAMICS. I am sure it will hold in the heat but i'm not sure how much heat we are talking about, and you are still going to have the heat off of the motor.

I wonder how hot the surface temp of the pipe gets.

The water problem can be solved by wrapping the insulation with Silicone impregnated fiberglas cloth. It's used to make removable insulation pads outdoors. rated at 500 degrees and waterproof.
    ( Made by ALPHA & ASSOCIATES)
    Last edited by CARVER; 09-18-2007 at 03:38 PM.

+1
    Have you ever worked around headers with heat wrap? It'll tear your arms apart and you'll get lots of those fibers imbedded into your skin. The other thing is that after it gets wet, it gets brittle and starts breaking off everywhere. That's been my experience with Thermo Tec and DEI products.

Good idea in theory, but definitely not worth the hassle in my opinion. If there were some other kind of stuff to put on there, it would be great.

This right here is fact on Jet-Hot Coating vs. Most Heat Wraps.

My buddies old setup on his integra was a greddy manifold turbo setup with internal wastegate. He had it and the downpipe wrapped then decided to get the manifold jet-hot coated along with the downpipe. Didn't wrap it again. The temps under the hood dropped BIG TIME with the jet-hot coating vs the wrap.

BTW guys, Jet-Hot Coating isn't wrap.....

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information